DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a call from the dealership about what was wrong with my car. My car was shooting belts off and I wasn’t sure why. I had the dealer install a alternator because i didn’t have time to do it. I drive it for like 2 days the belts come off. That’s fine, so i put them back on. Then in the next 4 or 5 days the belts come off again. I send it back to the people that did my alternator and they said my crank pulley was messed up and i need a new one. They said it would be about 450 dollars to do it. Is this over pricing????

:chair: :mad: :( :dunno:

·
Registered
802 Posts
A new OEM one is about $120-130ish if I remember correctly. Used in good condition probably around $60-70. Usable but not great condition about $30-40. Takes me about 20-30 mins to do including jacking the car up in the air.
EDIT:
All you have to do it zip off your rim. Loosen your alternator (also loosen ur ac belt if you still have it I don't). Take the belts off (its just easier.) Take off the splash shield cover in the way. Take off the pulley. Put the new one on and torque it down I think it was around 18" pounds or somewhere allong those lines. Just look it up in your Haynes. Then repeat in the opposite order.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
robcatch said:
A new OEM one is about $120-130ish if I remember correctly. Used in good condition probably around $60-70. Usable but not great condition about $30-40. Takes me about 20-30 mins to do including jacking the car up in the air.
That doesnt sound hard but i just ran out of towing so i have to have them do it. Im really pissed!!!!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
robcatch said:
WOW. That really fucking sucks. You could even get a Fluidamper for 300. I would shit a brick if I were you.
I'm about too!!!! I have put like 5000 bucks into this car and it still has broken every single week. I have had my car for a year now and im getting tired of it fast.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Dude, get someone to tow the car, don't let them rape you like that. Hell, find a friend with some tow straps and pull the car home. I know its not the best or safest idea, but you are saving yourself tons of cash by the sounds of it!!!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Buy a Haynes manual like robcatch said...best investment you'll make. All you really need to do is remove the plastic guard covering it, loosen/remove the belt, remove the four 10mm bolts and take it off.

Also I have an OEM crank pulley from JNZ I can sell you for cheap. PM me for details. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
shadow_FIX said:
Buy a Haynes manual like robcatch said...best investment you'll make. All you really need to do is remove the plastic guard covering it, loosen/remove the belt, remove the four 10mm bolts and take it off.

Also I have an OEM crank pulley from JNZ I can sell you for cheap. PM me for details. :)
Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If it's a 2gen like mine, you'll need to pull out the one bolt (might need a breaker bar) from the center of the pulley. Then I brought the bolt down to a tool shop and bought a (actually four) bolt(s) with the same thread but longer. Then I used a 3-jaw puller (can be borrowed from Advance Auto or Autozone) pushing off the new bolt threaded in all the way (but still sticking out a bit). Keep cranking it down and it'll eventually pop off.

The rest of the steps are the same (remove the belts and cover). With a 2gen, you might actually need to remove the upper engine mount since it goes through the cover (great design!). I've got pics of this job somewhere from my timing belt change, if I find the thread, I'll post it here.

EDIT
Here is the link:
http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191411

***Also, you don't need to remove the cover (and therefore don't need to remove the upper engine mount).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.