DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know anything about crankwall theory or the crankwall sensor on 2g's?
I was told that the crankwall sensor on my 97 gst was bad and needed to be replaced. The people I had working on my car replaced it, and now they are waiting on some sort of housing that goes with it for the job to be complete. I'm not too sure what the housing is??? They are saying that everything is running fine, but you can hear some sort of thud noise because the sensor is bent or the mounting device is bent and rubbing on the B timing belt(from what I understand is like a smaller or secondary timing belt). This all started with a broken timing belt...then I needed a head, balance shafts, bearings, and oil pump. When I got second opinion about this sensor, I was told that when the crankwallsensor goes, the motor is finished, beyond repair.
Basically, I don't know much about this problem and anyone who KNOWS what they're talking about, could you please lend me some advice, I'm pretty stuck and I don't know if this shop is just B.S.ing me. Is the motor shot, if that sensor goes? Is replacing the sensor pointless, and it'll just blow again?
Thanks for any useful info...I'll be happy to clear up any questions you might have if my story makes no sense....thanks.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ive never heard of a crankwall sensor, maybe there is one but ive had that entire area apart to replace my crank angle sensor twice and maybe thats another name for that same one. If thats the one they are talking about it going will not hurt your engine, i had mine blow out twice because the crank main bolt on the pulley was loose and the sensor got smacked.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You know what I think your right, because I looked this up in a Chilton's manual and thats all I found. Thanks for the help...I'm pretty sure thats what it is.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts