DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the tear down yesterday morning. Needless to say I'm excited to finally have the time to build her like I want and get her back on the road.

Parts list:

HEAD:
-Hot tanked
-Decked
-OEM 6T valves
-Kingley "street" beehive springs
-DKS 272 cams

BLOCK:
-Hot tanked
-Bore and hone .20 over
-Check deck and resurface
-Polish crank
-Balance rotating assembly

-Mahle low expansion pistons 8.5:1 .20 over
-Scat rods
-Tri-metal bearings
-OEM composite
-BSE kit
-OEM oil pump
-OEM gasket/seals throughout
-OEM oil pick up

DRIVETRAIN:
-4 bolt rear

MISC:
-Evo exhaust manifold
-Cyclone IM controlled with link
-ABS delete
-Manual steering rack

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About to solo this engine pull, don't think it'll be this easy going back in.

On the engine stand now

Oh hello balance shaft belt, whatch doing over there?

Stripping her down

2 rockers popped out

Ouch!

After seeing how much carbon build up no wonder I wasn't able to get more then 10* peak timing at 26psi.

Well thats it for now, sat I'll be dropping the head and block off at the machine shop.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!

Looks like a good start. When the engine is going back in, see if you can find a Load Leveler for the engine hoist. It'll make life a lot easier doing it by yourself.
Do'h don't know why I didn't think of that, load leveler should make life much easier. Thanks!

Everything bagged up and marked.

Manual steering rack with correct brackets, just waiting for rebuild kit. DKS272 cams, custom hood struts, abs delete, and evo 3 manifold. Still waiting on a few more packages. :D

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Progress so far today. I removed ABS, most of the power steering stuff minus the rack, all that crap on the fire wall, and cruise control. After that I installed the non ABS stuff and cleaned up the bay a little.

Pics:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All my parts finally came in.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just picked up my head and block from bogusSVO, progress has been slow due to life but moving forward non the less. I'm about to order my bearings and hopefully if time allows I'll be assembling the long block this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Looks very nice! FWIW if you keep the dampner pulley and the main crank bolt out while removing/installing the engine you buy yourself alot more room and reduce the risk of scratching up the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Starting the assembly today and now at a stand still because my machinist said my clearances are a tad tight for my goals after I plastigauged the mains. Front to back I got
(F) .0016 .0016 .0015 .0014 .0015 (B) So I'll be bring the crank to him on wed to have it polished a tad more. What do you guys think?

Pictures:

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lol at the dog
That's my very manly 10lb Yorkie :p

Thanks for the update! Looks like things are coming along.
No problem, its going a little slower then I'd like due to shit going on in my life. But non-the-less its coming together nicely.

Looks very nice! FWIW if you keep the dampener pulley and the main crank bolt out while removing/installing the engine you buy yourself alot more room and reduce the risk of scratching up the engine bay.
Thanks for the heads up, I think I might just do that. Depends on if I feel like putting the timing side together in the car. Wouldn't mind having room to work:)

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
You can put the timing stuff together outside the car. Just spin the bolt off before you drop it in and make sure to put it back on before starting it.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 246 Posts