DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if I should cut my dump tube. I know somebody on here has tried this before. Is it a bad or good thing? What sort of changes can I expect if I do cut it? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Probably no power increases by itself. But its still a good idea. You'll get a little more noise, thats about all the 'bad' stuff that will happen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
my type s sounds gay with it recirculated. you can barely hear a squeak. my modded 1g sounded more agressive. this thing sounds stock.

·
Registered
445 Posts
The dump tube is not held in by very much. All you have to do is break the sealent used to hold it in and pull it out. There is a size of PVC pipe that will fit almost perfectly in the hole on the intake. I got a circum-clamp or whatever they call the clamps that you screw them and they close up. They are the ones that are on the tube that connects the BOV to the dump tube already. You just put the clamp on the rubber part of the intake where the plastic dump tube slides in and tighten it down. You can angle the PVC pipe so it is flush with the intake. That is what I did.

Rob

·
Registered
548 Posts
That freakin thing is a huge restriction in the intake piping, yank it.

It's not a seat of the pants kinda mod, you won't really notice much from it, but every little bit helps.

I did that to my '95 over 4 years ago, it hasn't hurt a thing.

I really can't understand why they put it in there. I can only think of two reasons, noise suppresion or directing the dump right back into the compressor wheel. My bov was definitely louder without it. I guess mitsu didn't want to put up with newbie buyers complaing about the swoosh noise. :dunno:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I would amagine the tube exsists to reduce noise for the ignorant. Saves the technitians the hasstle of explaining the noises.

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,496 Posts
fu98765 said:
The dump tube is not held in by very much. All you have to do is break the sealent used to hold it in and pull it out. There is a size of PVC pipe that will fit almost perfectly in the hole on the intake. I got a circum-clamp or whatever they call the clamps that you screw them and they close up. They are the ones that are on the tube that connects the BOV to the dump tube already. You just put the clamp on the rubber part of the intake where the plastic dump tube slides in and tighten it down. You can angle the PVC pipe so it is flush with the intake. That is what I did.

Rob
Yeah, this is what i did. That way you can put it back to stock if you ever need to. I used a elbow that had about a 45 degree bend. It has started to misshape due to heat so i will probably go with a similar sized metal one.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I used a flat head screw driver to pry the dump tube loose.

Rob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright, cool. I guess I'll try it out when I get my car back with my new tranny and clutch. Thanks for your input.

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
If you look at the 95 dump tube it has an oval hole in it, if you look at the 97 dump tube it doesn't have that and is turned down at the end. The 95 made a cool whistle sound because of this hole, the 97 did not. whats' up with that?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts