DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question: I am looking to put a cyclone intake manifold on my 95 GS-T. Now I DO have a 1G head on my car. (I did a 1G headswap just like on www.roadraceengineering.com) The question I have is I recently visited http://www.holeshotperformance.com/used/
and saw they have a cyclone intake manifold for sale. The only thing is what do they mean by:

JDM CYCLONE intake: This intake has 8 runners. 4 are open all the time and the other 4 open under boost allowing a faster spool time. Magancore makes the wires needed for this manifold. You need to use your TB and coils?

What wires are needed for the manifold?

-Thanks,
Chuck

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
you want the US spec intake. It flows better on top end. The JDm is good for mid and low torque but can not flow top end as nicely.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, but still what wires are needed? Does this intake require different wiring or something. Just wondering because that is what the website I visited stated.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Did you try vfaq.com?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The coil packs are located in a different location.. so you need longer spark plug wires. If I remember right the only one that doesn't fit is the short one... & you just need an extra one of the longer ones to replace it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Like Ken said the plug wires are the ones that need to be changed. Yuo don't have to rewire anything else for that manifold to fit and work on your car. BTW, there is no VFAQ at vfaq.com for this type of installation.

·
Registered
489 Posts
vaBeachDSM

whats up man. this is James. ie. black eclipse GST from the night "spots".

I just put the 6 bolt cyclone motor in my car and all I had to do was use longer wires, and zip tie my coil pack to the side of the manifold.

BTW: let me put 500 miles on my new motor and ill see if its worth the swap. before you spend the money to do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey man, haven't talked to you in a while. Yeah keep me updated on the cyclone engine and if it is worth it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If I got off the computer, I'd have my JDM and Cyclone running already today. But until then...

While considering a JDM and whether to use the Cyclone or not, I read every thing I could find anywhere on them. I joined many racing sites just in order to search the message archives for jdm and cyclone.

Seems like the main people who bad-mouth Cyclones are people who never tried one. They have been flow-tested at the same or a hair less volume, and so the only thing that might hurt top-end at all is the longer runners. If you read posts from the people who used them, pretty much all will say the top-end felt the same but the bottom-end picked up, less turbo lag, and using one on a street car is the way to go. For 16g cars, anyway.

I asked TurboMitsu about his, and he said he was running low 12s on a 16g and then switched to a U.S. manifold and there was basically no change, and last I checked, there's a GVR4 guy running around doing 11s on his Cyclone, so it can't be all bad.

For wiring, if you use your throttle body, then all the wiring is on there. The JDM coil pack bracket fits fine if you use the front bolt and then angle the bracket for the second bolt. (have to drill a new hole in the bracket, but no biggie.) The replacement NGK wires are longer than stock and fit fine.

If you have a/c, it can be a big pain to get the compressor to fit.

·
Registered
185 Posts
When I got my motor, I just used stock 1G wires and they all fit with the coil pack in the location it came on. No modifying or anything. It IS a pain in the ass to get to the coil pack cause the brake master cylinder resevoir is in the way, but stock 1G wires DO fit.

·
Registered
489 Posts
crZ32

how did you hook up your dual stage runners? What line did you tap into? Do you have any pics to make it easier for me? I hooked mine up to the intake manafold. havnt run it yet so dont know if it will work yet.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All you do is run a vacuum line from the intake manifold to the actuator that is right below the FPR. Voila.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a cyclone

I have a cyclone NT in my 91 nt and as far as I know there is no normally aspirated DSM that can touch me. Atleast on the street. The power increase from the u.s. spec to the jdsm was really noticable. I'm waiting to get the funds to put the JDSM turbo in my 91 TSI Also does anyone know what size turbo, injectors ect that come with the JDSM-T? Also I've heard there are extra butterfly valves or runners on the intake and are controlled by the jap ecu. has anyone hooked these up?

·
Registered
405 Posts
That picture above confuses me. I have a JDM motor, and my valve cover has the Mitsubishi logo to the left of the word "Mitsubishi". Strange. Anyway, I have A/C, and I don't feel like trying to hassle with it just yet, so I have a poor little Cyclone intake just chillin with no home :( Or, since the car hasn't been driven in like a week, maybe it'll give me something to do while I figure out what else is wrong with it...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Mike from RRE posted that anyone who hooks the cyclone straight to a vacuum/boost source is missing the point of the cyclone. Supposedly, you either need the white canister that should come with it, or you need to make a one-way valve of some type. Otherwise, there won't be built-up vacuum/boost at the ready or whatever. I'm sure the intake works hooking it straight to a vacuum source, but maybe it just doesn't work as well as it should that way.

TurboMitsu posted a good boost controller design on here to keep the cyclone closed until 9psi.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Deusxmachina said:
Supposedly, you either need the white canister that should come with it, or you need to make a one-way valve of some type. Otherwise, there won't be built-up vacuum/boost at the ready or whatever. I'm sure the intake works hooking it straight to a vacuum source, but maybe it just doesn't work as well as it should that way.

Does anyone know what this canister looks like? I haven't looked at my intake in a while, since it's just sitting in the bottom of a box with the rest of my old motor. I know it has some cylindrical shaped thing on it, and if I remember, it looks kinda like the wastegate actuator. Is this this the canister maybe?

An interesting thought comes to mind. Perhaps when those people who say that there's not much difference between the two intakes don't have this canister. Hmm..

·
Registered
185 Posts

If you look just below the actuator for the manifold, you can see the vacuum hose running from the actuator down to the little white canister (all you can see is the white cap).

1 - 20 of 309 Posts