DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know what a japanese spec cyclone intake is and if so how much power would it be on a 97 gst

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have seen one, it says CYCLONE on the top, but I don't know what the difference is besides that... I have seen it for sale at the DSM parts trader yesterday.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey do you have any dimensions on the non-cyclone manifold? I can get specs on the Cyclone, maybe the length of some odd part f the manifold or something... I think the throttle body part is the same diameter...but not sure...if u can give me some info on urs and i can get u info on this one... Hey or post a pic....and i can do the same IF that would help.

·
Registered
871 Posts
i believe the cyclone intake has dual runners with one set operated with butterflies that open at a certain rpm for better top end flow. kinda like a 94+ integra gsr. also one set of runners is shorter then the other for better top end flow. i'm not sure if it will bolt on to a 2g but i think it is direct bolt-on for the 1g. i don't think it is any better than a 1g so i'd say it's probally not worth it. unless it's free :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
84 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 4npower:
i believe the cyclone intake has dual runners with one set operated with butterflies that open at a certain rpm for better top end flow. kinda like a 94+ integra gsr. also one set of runners is shorter then the other for better top end flow. i'm not sure if it will bolt on to a 2g but i think it is direct bolt-on for the 1g. i don't think it is any better than a 1g so i'd say it's probally not worth it. unless it's free :D

bill

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There are TWO types of cyclone intake mainfold....one is just a single length runner type with the word "cyclone" stamped on the top. I have seen a friend get screwed out of some money bying this POS that was no different than his stock one.

The other type has the dual length runners operated by butterflys. On the cars they are ment for, the ECU controls the operation of the butterflies with a solenoid going to a vacuum line. Our cars are NOT equiped with this feature in the ECU, so just bolting it on and running a vacuum line to it works...but not nearly as well as it does on the car it is ment for. If you have a haltech or something similar you CAN control the actation point.

The whole point of the cyclone intake it to give better low end torque, and still have decent high end power. For drag racing you are better off with a sheet metal intake, but for a daily driver the cyclone would be a cool setup.

Keith

PS: It is not a direct bolt on for any of the DSM's, you have to make your own coil mounts, power transitor mounts, bend some AC lines out of the way and crap like that.

------------------
Best pass to date 12.817 @ 108.42 with a 1.786 60'. Not bad for a 4 door huh?

Dyno sheets at http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/1635/Galant_info.html

PS: Yeah, I know that time is slow for that dyno sheet. This track sucks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have one on my car, and it is everything Fourdoor said it is. It came stock on my car so the butterfly valves are controlled by the computer. Its great for torque with the stock turbo(our cars come from the factory with a 16g over here), but for all out hp we go with the N/A(stateside turbo manifold) manifold.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts