DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car started sputtering out the blue around 70mph when i was on the highway, i came home replaced the spark plugs (gaped .28), new wires, one coil which was one of the problems so I replaced that, had the o2 sensor replaced 3 months ago. The hesitation and sputtering is still there im getting low power. WHY all of a sudden? No boost leaks, it was running fine before.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Look under the oil cap for a white goop.

How is your coolant level?

Any white smoke at all?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sebba said:
Look under the oil cap for a white goop.

How is your coolant level?

Any white smoke at all?

My coolant is good, no goop and no smoke but two to three weeks ago my car over heated cause the tb coolent hose blew out and it over heated meaning it was on the red on the meter for a few mins. Turned it off and fix the problem and it surges now. The overheating happened a while ago NOW this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
AwdEi said:
The leakdown should have told you where it was leaking from. I would say one of the valves.... check again and see if air comes out of the intake (open the TB and see) or the exhaust.
I did a leakdown test but nothing moved. Im hoping its not the valve because I just got the head rebuilt and one of the valve seals are bad somehow cause I have blue smoke at idle.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
So its probably not head gasket.

Looks like a valve to me

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Take off the valve cover and inspect the valvetrain from the top.

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Not exactly a bent valve, maybe a piece broke off or its not seated right.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
After the valve cover is off if you see no problems, rotate the engine til the valves on #3 are in the closed position. Then use compressed air on a compression tester (spark plug inlet end) Listen for a hisss out the intake or the exhaust. If it's an exhaust valve it will hiss out the exhaust and if it's the intake valves it will hiss out the intake.

·
Registered
241 Posts
You could have a rod let loose,I had a 420a that had 0 compression on #1 cylinder,Ultimately found the #1 rod had twisted/snapped just below the wrist pin.I hope this isnt the case for you,it ate up the crank.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
0 compression 99% of the time is a valve stuck open or not seating. In case you did not figure that out yet. Did you do what I said?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
16G_tsi_awd said:
After the valve cover is off if you see no problems, rotate the engine til the valves on #3 are in the closed position. Then use compressed air on a compression tester (spark plug inlet end) Listen for a hisss out the intake or the exhaust. If it's an exhaust valve it will hiss out the exhaust and if it's the intake valves it will hiss out the intake.

I took the valve cover out and everything seemed fine everything rotates fine. I did the air test and I got air coming from the intake not the exhaust, I rotate the cam and I got air from the exhaust not the intake I hate to say this but Im not to sure what this test does. Im guessing the air coming from both are a good sign? I found something else, there is a hole in side the head by the 3rd exhaust manifold pipe and its leaking oil out the of the exhaust mani on top of the manifold, its very slow even with the exhaust bolt tight. I hope you guys know what Im talking about, Ill take pics and show you guys, Im not sure if that hole is supposed to be there.

·
Registered
382 Posts
How bout something besides a camera phone? lol. I think that's an oil galley you have a picture of, but like I said, camera phones suck. :dunno: :chair:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.