DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I did the search thing and to no avail. I am trying to set the timing on this 95 talon TSI. For the life of me I cannot find this plug to stick the screwdriver in to keep the oil pump sprocket from moving. Does anyone have a picture? I have a factory service manual but I still can't find it. I also read that even though the sprocket might be aligned the balance shaft could be out of phase. How do you know your in phase?

In the factory manual there is a tool used to "screw into the engine left support bracket until its end makes contact with the tensioner arm. At that point, screw the tool in some more and then remove the set wire attached to the auto tensioner."

What type of tool is this? Is this a screwdriver? HELP! Thanks in advance guys.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
no2psi said:
Well, I did the search thing and to no avail. I am trying to set the timing on this 95 talon TSI. For the life of me I cannot find this plug to stick the screwdriver in to keep the oil pump sprocket from moving. Does anyone have a picture? I have a factory service manual but I still can't find it. I also read that even though the sprocket might be aligned the balance shaft could be out of phase. How do you know your in phase?
First thing... WWW.VFAQ.COM has great t-belt info.

The plug to check the phase of the balance shaft is on the back (firewall side) of the block. If you get under the car, and look over to the right (passenger side) from where the A/C bracket is, you'll see a raised boss on the block with a (17mm I believe) bolt in it that's not holding anything down. That is the balance shaft check plug. Remove that bolt and you can use a screwdriver to see if the balance shaft is set correctly or 180 degrees off. Line up the oil pump sprocket timing mark.. if you can stick a screwdriver 6" into the hole then the bal shaft is correct... if the bal shaft is blocking you from sticking the screwdriver in, then turn the oil pump sprocket 1 revolution and line the timing mark up again.. and try the screwdriver test again.

In the factory manual there is a tool used to "screw into the engine left support bracket until its end makes contact with the tensioner arm. At that point, screw the tool in some more and then remove the set wire attached to the auto tensioner."

What type of tool is this? Is this a screwdriver? HELP! Thanks in advance guys.
That's one of the timing belt special tools. It's just (I believe 8mm x 1.25) threaded rod that's about 8 inches long. It threads into the motor mount to push the manual tensioner arm against the hydraulic tensioner so you can compress the tensioner. The "set wire" they are talking about is the grenade pin that's used to keep the tensioner compressed until after you've set the pulley tension.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James,
Thank you very much for your help. The tool your refering to, do you your self use it? Or is it, one of those; helps but not necessary sort of deals?

Thanks again,
DAVE

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
I don't find it necessary for t-belt installs, but it is required to remove the t-belt. When installing the t-belt you can put it there "just in case" if you want.

I set the manual tension (on the pulley) so that after it sits for 15 minutes, you can still put the grenade pin back into the tensioner with some resistance. That is I set it almost "too tight to put the grenade pin back in" rather than "too loose to put the grenade pin back in". So I don't need the thread-in tool there so I can back it out to transfer tension to the belt. It gets tightened fully by hand.

To remove a Tbelt right though, you will have to compress the hydraulic tensioner, and that's what the threaded rod tool does. The other Tbelt special tool is a piece that fits into the 2 holes on the tensioner pulley. Allows you to use a 1/4" ratchet to set the tension, rather than doing it by hand. Makes things a lot easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts