DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have a 97 TSI AWD, (duh :rolleyes: ). My question is this, i hear of people using a palm is that with the tmo or the dsmlink? Or is there another logging program? Then which works for my year, and do I need to find another ecu with an eprom or should I check mine for one? Also what is the best, the best deal, and most reliable? I already have an safc but don't plan on selling it. I have a laptop so if I must I can use that. Thanks for the insight.

·
Registered
827 Posts
The palm is used with the pocketlogger (www.pocketlogger.com). I believe the tmo and / or dsmlink both need a laptop. Also, I think any of the three mentioned loggers will work with a 2g but only pocketlogger works with a 1g.

I have pocketlogger and like it. It's very informative and logs a lot of usefull info. At 150 bucks + cost of a palm it is one of the cheaper loggers out there and is very functional.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thank you for the info. My next question is, does my 97 ecu have an eprom or will i have to purchase a 95 or even a 1g if it works? Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
You'll have to look at the ecu to tell if it's eprom of not

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has no eprom what years will work? Also when I order the pocketlogger stuff I need to get the obd2 software correct?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also I think I read somewhere that on newer (how new?) palms that the cord needs to be modified to work? I will hopefully use this in order to hit that heavenly 11.XX.

·
Registered
412 Posts
The only year that had Eprom ECU's on a 2G was 95. To run a pocketlogger all you need is the software and cable they provide you and a palmpilot that is it. DSMLINK is the one that requires the Eprom ECU. By the way I am getting my DSMLink next week and will be selling my pocketlogger with the palm pilot I have if you are interested. I think they are backordered right now and the price for it keeps going up due to demand. I think when it first came out it was just under $120 now I think it is around $150.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
P.M. me so we can discuss that, I am sure a moderator will take your post away. I am interested in buying yours. Also what does the cable hook into if it does not plug into the eprom?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I think when it first came out it was just under $120 now I think it is around $150.
I think its more like $175 + shipping thats what I payed back in May-June of 2002 . used it all of 3 times and wont connect anymore. something with the connnection at the obd-II port, i have yet to figure it out. doesnt seem like such a great deal anymore for a $300 total for the mod.

anyone else have this problem and fix it?

Ive bent the pins in the pocketlogger cable but Im afraid of sticking something in the port itself and shorting something out.

·
Registered
412 Posts
It is probably the pins in the OBDII port. I had the same problem and bent the pins inward, you cna also bend the pins on the cable in the oposite direction for a better connection.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay, now which is the best. I see people selling their pocketlogger for dsmlink. Is the tmo and the dsmlink the best. Remember i am keeping my safc for i have the modified wot a/f gauge which helps me tune. I am planning on taking my eprom ecu to tmo to get chipped but i don't plan on racing everyday. Does the dsmlink replace the ecu and act like a standalone, or no. Can i get away with tuning with the pocketlogger or will i eventually need to get dsmlink. Thanks

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
you can use the palm software with either a 1G ECU or the 2G OBDII, but you can not read knock counts with the OBDII. I would recommend going with the DSMlink software, i believe you can read knock counts with it...personally this is my favorite feature of a logger.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
TMO is a 1G-ONLY logger. It will not work for you. TMO uses a laptop.

PocketLOGGER is offered in 1G or OBD-II (2G) versions. Either version uses a palm.

DSMLink is a tuneable ECU upgrade for 2Gs... requires a 95 EPROM ECU, and a laptop. It can do much better datalogging than can be done though OBD-II, and can adjust fuel and timing.

There is also an OBD-II datalogger from Alex Peper (I can't remember the site right now)... it also works for 2Gs.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But, with my modified A/f gauge, S-AFC, and the pocketlogger, can I tune just as well as having dsmlink? Remeber I am not taking the safc off so i might as well use it to my advantage. I also like not having the computer in the passanger seat, but I heard that the computer saves the settings so that you don't need the computer all the time, mostly just at the track to tune and then you settings are set for daily driving.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
You can tune a 2G pretty well with AFC and OBD-II pocketlogger. But you are limited by two things:

- OBD-II datalogging blows goats. No knock count available, and a very slow sample rate. OBD-II was made for diagnostic use, not performance-oriented data streaming. DSMLink uses its own datalogging protocol to get very good datalogging capabilities from the 2G ECU.

- AFC is a piggyback designed to trick the ECU into delivering different amounts of fuel by manipulating airflow values... while DSMLink makes changes in the ECU's own fuel and timing tables. That makes DSMLink more accurate and better at compensating for weather changes without re-tuning. At least that's how I see it.

You can tune DSMLink and then remove the computer from the car. You don't have to drive around with a laptop 24/7. You'd just need the laptop (or Palm if you use the Palm version of DSMLink) when you are making changes or datalogging.

DSMLink seems like a winner to me.. replaces AFC, and gives you datalogging capabilities that you don't have with OBD-II... plus timing adjustments, launch control, DTC disable.. blah blah... DSMLink seems to be the best thing out there short of a standalone ECU.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I agree and disagree with the last comment. There is no doubt that DSMlink is proabably the best thing out for 2G's. There are people running 11's with the AFC/Pocketlogger combo. The logger tells you timing which is directly related to knock among other things. If you have a steady rising timing curve you know you are not getting knock levels which are retarding the timing. The main reason I am going to the DSMlink is that I run 750cc injectors and with it I will have better control plus better idle. I loved the pocketlogger and it helped me tune my car on top of the other uses I had for it like setting the TPS perfectly instead of using the factory method which gets you in the ballpark and also helped me troubleshoot some issues witht eh cooling system and also showed me the big difference a cold air intake made by allowing me to look at the intake temperature.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you I only have 550 injectors, and my main goal has been an 11.xx.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Since you already have the AFC, I think the OBD-II pocketlogger would be the way to go. It's also possible to go the other way and sell your AFC (and not buy the pocketlogger) in favor of DSMLink. Really your call, either would could run 11s.

And absolutely true that you can infer knock count from timing advance. That is the best you can do with OBD-II datalogging.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts