DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you recommend a multi-channel amp for my spyder? A decent quality one w/o hissing at low volume, that drives nuts!!!

I'm dumping my jbl p80.4 and jblp1200.1. Can't stand the hissing, even at low gain! Thinking of going w/ 5ch Alpine MRV450 or so, anyone have experience w/this?

JBL's are just heavy and not much quality output or much thump!
:mad:

·
Registered
187 Posts
If you are getting hiss its not your amp. Especially if they are jbl's amps. Check your wiring. Your getting noise in your system and your amps are just amplifling them. I would also check your RCA and Head unit. I own JBL's and they don't hiss. May be a thump on turn off if I have the volume up but not a hiss. If you don't get the his problem solve now when you buy another amp the hiss going to haunt you. Who wired your system for you?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I personally like Memphis 4-channel amps
the Stuido 200 is a good amp in my opinon

·
Registered
187 Posts
Also if you had two amp set up and you are going to the alpine 5 channel your not going to get enough power for what you want. They are nice amp if you want one package in a box and don't care about listening to your music. Also you have a Spyder. Not enough power to drown out the road noise.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,923 Posts
Check your ground, and your RCA connections and routing.

Most amps do not hiss. Faulty wiring creates the hiss.

If you really do want to unload those amps PM me. ;) (they are good, I'd keep them I if I were you)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Dude, if your amps are hissing they are broken. No good anymore, better just send them to me. I will pay shipping. :D Seriously though, I have heard nothing but good things about JBL amps. Its not the amps, its most likely the wiring as posted above.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Wow! Thanks for all the replys.

I just got these amps last month and I did the whole install myself. Running Eclipse 8051 HU w/8v preamp outs. I made sure to get quality RCA cables and got two pairs of Pyramid brands w/gold plated w/ thick insulations. I also made sure to route them on the driver side floor panel along w/ speaker wires and power wires to the passenger side. I routed all cables through factory metal routing holes, maybe I should'nt?
Also, I got like 3 foot of extra preamp wires rolled up to take up the slack right before the amp hookup. All the hookups are tight and I made sure to separate the pre-amps and power wires in the trunk.

I also mounted the amps on the bare metal floor of the trunk. Maybe I should insulate the floor first???

I grounded both amps and a relay to same bare metal sheet on the floor. I made sure to grind the sheetmetal for grounding and it there pretty tight!

Oh yeah, is Eclipse HU's 8v output too much for the JBL's. Are'nt amps limited to certain input voltage ranges???

AWWWW ...too much!!! My amps just don't sound that clean and I have the gains turned down to half way or less!!!

:mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
First try getting those amps up off the metal. Mount them to a slab of MDF of something non-conductive. If that doesnt work, try running some RCAs off of a home stereo, like in a garage or something. If it goes away (the hissing) you have narowed it down to either the deck or the RCAs. Make sure your ground wires are nice and big. What does the Relay run? Might be introducing noise there also..... umm, what else. Could try moving the speaker wires away from the RCAs... The best way to do this is start at the deck, replacing each component in the chain untill the noise goes away, then you know where it is introduced. Try going to radio shck and picking up a 12 foot cheeseball RCA cable, and just run it from the deck over the seats right into the amp.... But, my money is on the amps being on the bare metal.
-Beau

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apocalypse said:
What does the Relay run? Might be
-Beau
12v auto relay to provide signal source to both amps. HU's amp switch turns the relay on and it provides 12v to both amps. Relay is powered from the distribution block and shares the same ground with the amps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I run alpine and JL Audio amps, very clean. I'm happy with them.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you are only running two amps your remote turn on should be enough without a relay. Mabey try just bypassing it all together? Just a thought....

·
Registered
26 Posts
What it sounds like is that you have a ground loop. its very common in a vehicle that has complex wiring. first thing first, ground your amp directly to your battery! if that doesn't work, purchase a ground loop isolator, you can find those a wal-mart or just about any store that sells car audio. finally, i recommend purchasing Monster Audio RCA cables. buy the top end. they may be rather expensive, but these cables normally solve amplifier hissing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I would not do what ECLIPSED4203 mentioned about grounding to the battery. The ground cable is only should be 14 inches long and no more. The ground loop isolator is a band aid. I would inspect your RCA. Your Gain on your amp should only be one third of the way up. Also because your head unit is 8volt that could be a problem. Now is your 8volt balanced or unbalanced. Some head units are 8volt balance but when unbalanced it is only 4 volts. Like metioned before go from the head unit back. If you are really looking at amps go with a two amp system and stay with a good brand. Like Kicker, Phonex Gold, Clarion, Orion, and JL. You have an Idea. I know for a fact that if you switch amps you will still get the hiss. Do yourself a favor and solve the problem first or at least find where it is coming from. For two amps to be making the noise Its not in the amp. Its the source. All case fail email JBL and find if there amps are 8volt capatible. There are pretty helpful and replied back quick.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hissing at low volume comes also from having your gains too high. Back them off a bit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts