DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to do some work on my car sometime this winter I believe and I want to increase the HP A LOT. I have a 92 Eclipse GS 2.0 N/T and want to go up to about 180-200 HP. Now I am thinkin of either doing a port,polish and mill job and then getting new camshafts and cam gears. This should increase me a lot I think. If not please do tell me and tell me why.

OR

I can decrease the compression ratio down as far as I can go and add a turbo. Now is this a feasible thing to do or not? If so then what will I need to be careful of and how can I fix it. If not then please tell me why and tell me if the other option I presented is a better route to go.

Thank you all very much,
James 92 E-GS

·
Registered
295 Posts
Air Filter and Exhaust First. Then maybe your engine work is next. Seriously, you may want to consider NOS unless you want all motor.....
Hope to hear your upgrade path though so I can tell my NT friend what to do with his car, so keep me posted!

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
First is k&N air filter, then exhaust system. But, adding a turbo later will change your exhaust requirements. Obviously, a turbo will increase your hp alot. But, on the other hand, a high compression, cam'd engine is good too. If it was me, I'd go the turbo route, probably more dependable. I'm not sure what the bottom end on a GS will require, but somebody here will...I'm sure there's been a post here on that subject. Try going back a few pages and looking, I think we're up to seven pages under gen. tech. now. Also, I think Hahn Racecraft are the experts on turning n/t dsm's into boosted performers. Here's a link, www.turbosystem.com

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

[This message has been edited by Van (edited September 27, 2000).]

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm gonna say this now because I know someone else is going to sooner or later ...
It's pretty much been established that if you want to turbo a 1G NT, you'd be better off selling your car and buying a GST/GSX. You'd only be able to run like 4-5 psi with the stock compression, probably need to add oil jets, strengthen the bottom end, definitely change the fuel system, change ECU's, etc. The intake manifold on NT's was more restrictive, injectors are smaller, and so on.

Personally, I think it'd be really f'in cool to see someone build a *fast* 1G NT. With all the "All Motor" Honda's out there, I can't think of a single fast NT DSM. :( The first plan you had with engine sounds good, I'd go with that. :D

------------------
-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Registered
270 Posts
The market value between a '92 Eclipse GS 2.0 and an Eclipse GST in similar condition and miles is only about $500. All that work to make a non-turbo almost as fast as a bone stock GST will cost you way more than $500. :(

An 'all-motor' non-turbo DSM really couldn't compete with the Hondas since they weigh about 700 pounds more than the average ungutted Civic. :mad:

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey man whats up i own a 93 gs n/t and Bill Marino and I are working on a plan wit 125shot of nos some cams and other goodies, hope fully it should be sick, as far as putting a turbo in not worth it, i wanted to put one but from everybody opinions came came down to a LOT of money might as well buy a turbo. well ne ways if you want me to go into more detail on our plan just email me [email protected] or any questions

·
Registered
921 Posts
SHHHHH!!! don't tell them all about it !!! :-D

But really as was said before the basic stuff first then to the bottle you go, Cheaper faster and less tunning problems with that then any other, No need to go in tot he motor till it blows =-) forget the turbo system. I have made this statement before and stand by it. take any NT car with a turbo kit and any GST and we will go dollor Vs doller and do mods. who in the end will have the faster, more reliable car???

I know do you =-)

but another prob is cams for the NT. At the moment other then getting a set of regrinds there are no NT cams that I know of.

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 1G N/T that I'm going to turbo. I have a small 16g, 1g exhaust manifold, turbo oil pan, coolant and oil feed lines off a 90, with oil cooler, 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, Turbo intake manifold, 009 injectors, fuel pressure riser, bored throttle body 67mm, turbo cams and pistons.

I still need a turbo ecu and harness. Also a downpipe & intercooler but I have already found a cooler and pipes for $75.

It is alot of work but it will be worth it. Also the insurance cost will be less.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi Craig,
The tough thing about turbo charging an NT is not getting the parts together, but making everything work right. Are you planning on decreasing your compression ratio? If not then I wouldn't envision going to more than 6-7 psi, even with an intercooler. Also, I'd make sure I something like J&S safeguard, or just use the stock turbo knock sensor. Like many people have found out, if you want to enjoy high boost with your 16G on an NT, you are going to have to go into the engine, and you end up spending way more than just getting a GST.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I'm curious ... would stock cams from a turbo DSM help an NT?? If so, I'm sure they'd be easy & cheap to come by. And the auto turbo DSM's have different (milder) cams than the manuals, so you could do some trial and error there to see if you could get a workable combo. I'm just theorizing here, so someone stop me if this is a worthless idea.

------------------
-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Registered
100 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CraigB:
I have a 1G N/T that I'm going to turbo. I have a small 16g, 1g exhaust manifold, turbo oil pan, coolant and oil feed lines off a 90, with oil cooler, 2.5 inch cat back exhaust, Turbo intake manifold, 009 injectors, fuel pressure riser, bored throttle body 67mm, turbo cams and pistons.

I still need a turbo ecu and harness. Also a downpipe & intercooler but I have already found a cooler and pipes for $75.

It is alot of work but it will be worth it. Also the insurance cost will be less.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are you planning to put in the oil jets for cooling the pistons?

·
Registered
921 Posts
What is the total cost of going to turbo?

A few MAJOR parts you missed were you have 10:1 compression pistions. you don't want over 9:1 for a turbo car never mind a turbo car on the street. OOPS I missed that you have a set of tuerbo pistions and what about the year they are for. if they are 1G it's not worth it they are to weak. You also said you have a FP Riser? is it a RISER ot Rising rate FPR?? big Diff in the two of them.

You can use a thicker gasket but that means a weaker gasket.

Lets put it this way I have a auto Setup that I WAS going to bolt on to a NT ( both 1G 's 90's ) I have EVERYTHING I need and didn't do it B/C of the worth of it all. I was going to run it with no IC and at about 5-8 PSI and se if the bitch would take it. Well after a long talk with the owner the car was sold and he got a TSI

What is the insurance brake as I don't know of a single Soul that has full coverage on a NT DSM ( maybe Show cars but still can think of any )

------------------
Bill Marino
NYC DSM
[email protected]

·
Registered
129 Posts
I priced the 2G pistons today and I can get them for $49 each so I think I will go with them. I have a 91 TSI block, crank, and rods. I can get the block bored and 2G pistons put on the 1G rods and the crank turned and polished and the rods checked out for $332. I think I can do it this winter.

My car is a 91 Laser I paid $800 for it. It did not really run and burned alot of oil. The timing belt was off a bit and the timing was set way off to make up for it. I replaced the timing belt and valve seals and removed the balance shafts. It still needs a paint job but it is a nice car.

I have paid nothing for the parts I have so far. I will put 332 in to the block and by a turbo ECU for 100 dollors and intercooler & BOV for 75. I think that is about all I will need. I had a 91 TSI but I sold it because I do not want the AWD. I like the FWD it is easy to work on :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not to act like a di*k or any thing but if you really want a turbo sell the car and get a gs-t, dont get me wrong ill love to see a turbo kit for the n/t, but if you have money to throw away just see if it works, then by all means go for it, if not by a gs-t
but thats just my opinion!!

Fiore Iadevaia
Top Seceart n/t (lol bill)

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't think it is a waste of time if I were to buy another RS turbo or Tsi I would still need to do most of the same work. Most 1Gs out there that I could buy to play with would need some engine work or trans work. They all leak oil I would need to pull the engine and trans to reseal anyway. I have already done work to this Laser and I really like it. And I would not do it if I had to pay someone to do the work it would cost to much. Plus I have most of the parts for free.

And when I get it done it will be a nice sleeper. It will still look like a N/T

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
CraigB they all look like NT cars unless you paste turbo on them. Its not like the turbo models r special looking they just r faster. Anyways, so now that I am not gonna put a turbo on my car does anyone know what I can mill the head down to? I want to try to get something for HP out of my car, I love the car and don't wanna get rid of it, its my first DSM for gods sakes, and I only paid $3200 and with all the work in it I don't see me getting my money out of it. So does anyone know what kinda compression ration I can go to? I have 9:1 now so what is safe without damaging the motor?

James 92 E-GS

·
Registered
270 Posts
You could increase the compression some. It would cost you a fortune compared to other alternatives. It also won't make as big a difference as you might think. I think moving up even as high as 11:1 may be good for 10-15hp at most. For the cost of having that done, you could sell your car, buy a turbo model to replace it and buy yourself some nice wheels and tires to go with that new turbo model. ;)

To be honest, if I still had my Talon non-turbo and I wanted to make it fast, I would just go the NOS route. It's cheap, easy to set up, and you'll pull some respectable times with it...maybe even beat some modded turbo's.

------------------
Brian
Wildberry '95 TSi AWD

1 - 19 of 19 Posts