DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new engine and have found a couple of places that have motors from Japan that are 92's. My car is a 93. Anyone know what i would have to do to bolt the 92 motor in place of the 93? I have been told the flywheels are different and i need to use the flywheel off the 92 motor. Other then that they are the same on the outside. My 93 motor has had the front balance shaft seized up twice now so i guess its time for a new engine.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Why not just rmove the balance shafts all together? I had mine removed and its hardly noticable as far as engine vibration is concerned. A few big shops sell the kit to do it right.

There should be no differance with the engines for bolting them up Just make sure it has the same flywheel bolt pattern or get the appropriate flywheel too. There are 6 and 7 bolt flywheels. My 93 has a 7 bolt, but i don't think the year totally matters. your 93 might have a 6 or 7 bolt pattern and so could the 92 engine.
Someone please correct me if there is a definite year cutoff to these patterns.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The reason i want to get a new motor is beacuse the first time it seized up i had to replace both shafts and it needed new rod bearings. After it was put back together the oil pressure is considerably lower then the front shaft seized again last week. I think there is too many things wrong with this motor from seizing up two times now. I would feel more comfortable with a new motor or one that has lower miles.

·
Registered
729 Posts
what are you going to pay for a used one?
you might consider buying a shortblock from buschur or something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts