DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My name is Chris.
I currently own a 1992 Nissan Pathfinder.
I used to live in MN. But I moved to Ohio, in ohio though you don't need the 4wd like I did in MN. I want to upgrade to something faster. I research and so far the Eclipse or Talon 1995-1998 fits my budjet and needs.

Sorry for the intro
Here is my question. For a GSX what is the difference between a 1995-1996 versus a 1997-1999. How do you tell them apart, are they mechanically the same? Is the exterior updated. I hope to get a white or silver a/t GSX.

TIA

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, the 95-96 GSX's and 97+ GSX's are basically the same.
the 97+ has an updated front and rear fascia (which in my opinion look better than the 95-96). The 95's are the ones that had the most problems of all... which can be expected from the first year of a new design.

a 95-96 GSX is harder to pick out from the rest other than the rims and of course it says GSX in the back. 97+ GSX's have the high spoiler (along with the GS-T) and different rims (double 5 spoked vs the GS-T's wider 5 spoke look)

Interior on them is identical, and other than that, they are basically the exact same.

Good luck finding a gsx... by me, I found a couple, but I didn't want an A/T and that was ALL I could find.

·
Premium Member
17,457 Posts
I wish they didn't even make auto's in the awd! I am looking for a awd and the market here is nothing but autos. Crap!

[This message has been edited by greenstreak (edited October 15, 2000).]

·
Registered
25 Posts
OBD2 is the flash program that was used on 97+ Eclipse ECU. Mostly used for us DSM for datalogging and tunning. I have a 96 GSX and a 99 GSX and both have no problem running. The 97+ GSX head is design similar to the 1st generation DSM so when you switch the head it would be easier. The 97+ GSX has 17" rims and the 95-96 GSX has 16" rims. In my opinion, I would get a 96 GSX since they would be cheaper than the 97+ GSX. The exterior body is can be changed to the 97+ Eclipse. However, I do find that the 96+ Eclipse seems to run a lot richer than the 97+ Eclipse. I had no problem tunning the 99 Eclipse on the AFC with jumptronix but with my 96 GSX it would not lean out. Anyway, I place the jumptronix tunning problem on help tech section. Thanks!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
On Board Diagnostics generation 2
Basically ties all sensors to ECU and if one is out of spec you get that pretty orange Check Engine Light.

GST-97 you said the 95s had to most problem. If I were buying one this id the year to get. Most crankwalk cases are coming from 96-99 cars. 97 have a junk ECU and 98-99s have the later revision of OBDII, which you dont want.

Opinions

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST
old ride
\/

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I problably will get a 95-96 white / silver a/t then. I will try to get a warranty extension. I problably will update the facsia.

Thanks alot

·
Registered
882 Posts
I looked around for about 6 months, mostly found RSs and GSs, I found a couple 95-96 GS-T's with high mileage, and onee brand-freaking new GS-T that was loaded that I couldn't afford. No GSXs at ALL. In fact, I've only seen one GSX (that is, with the GSX sticker still on the back) here in WV, that was at like 6:30 am on my way to work.

~Jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts