DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I decided that I would try to make a false floor styled wooden box for my 97 GSX. I figured this would be less time consuming, cheaper, less intensive, and it is something I can do with my Dad which I haven't done much with recently. I was wondering if anybody has done this and had like a presketch or has all the dimensions. My only worry is the "banking" of the trunk as in each plastic interior piece has a distinctive curve to it. I'm trying to keep it as sealed as possible.

Basically what I have read was the basic MDF board from HomeDepot or such was sufficient for these boxes. Just verifying...

Also I was wondering if was worth it to Dynamat the bottom of the false floor or does that hurt the bass? I have plans to Dynamat the whole trunk so that should limit the interior. Another question would be when you dynamat don't you like checkerboard the dynamat on the back of whatever piece you want dynamatted or do you straight slab the whole piece up with dynamat?

I'm new to the audio side of cars so help would be greatly appeciated.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You can do your idea but you cant just put a sub in a piece of MDF and drop it in your car and expect it to seal against your interior panels. A sub has to enclosed in a air-tight box. If you dont have much experience building boxes do some research, check out sites like crutchfield.com ect... the have how-to's on basic box building and explain the whole concept of audio.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I think what you're reffering to is called a "slap board"

A lot of black people used to do that back in the day. Earthquake subs were great for a "slap board"

By installing subwoofers in a infinite baffle enclosure, it gave you that ghetto "thump" in your trunk.

I wouldn't recommed that you use an IB enclosure unless you're using adequate IB subwoofers.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I know the sealing part and all that I'm just going for that because it is a clean look and then you don't have some huge ugly looking box in your car.

·
Registered
284 Posts
As far as the dynamat is concerned, I believe the principal in which it works is to add mass to a peticular surface in order to lower it's resonant frequency. In doing this, it eliminates that "buzz" from thin wall metal objects when the bass hits. In addition to that, I think the dynamat compound also impedes sound wave transfer. With that in mind, I would think the more the better, the trade-offs being cost and weight added to the car (Dynamat is heavy). I may be off in my understanding of this, so anyone feel free to add to/ correct my post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts