DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know why the dip stick pops up bout 2 inches after hittin full boost or gettin on it at all.... what could be the problem???

·
Registered
612 Posts
maybe the seal around it is bad? I would also check to see that your PCV valve isn't clogged.. I wouldnt think you would get that much pressure in the oil pan though... maybe try getting a new dipstick??

-Aaron

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
can i ask where the pvc valve is at what what does it look like and ill also try a new dipstick...

·
Registered
612 Posts

in that picture the upper arrow is pointing near it.. it's the angled thing that looks like macaroni sticking out of the valve cover
(no laughs.. that's the best I can do)

disregard the caption this pic was intended for something else

-Aaron

·
Elite DSMtalker
2,617 Posts
You have a few options

Wrap the dipstick with a little bit of electrical tape (just at the rubber portion).

Get a new dipstick from a dealer ~$15

Squeze the dipstick tube very lightly with a pair plyers, so the stick "sticks" in.

Your pcv valve is that little hex looking block on the rear passenger side of the valve cover, that has the hose running into the intake manifold. Go grab a new one at a local parts store. Its not worth the hassle of putting the old one in, since a new one is only a few bucks.

·
Registered
511 Posts
The problem with the PCV is that it wears out and doesn't shut when boost comes in from the intake manifold. So in essence, your putting 10-15-20Psi into your oiling system. Add that amount of air pressure and the oil pressure and POP, the dipstick is out and oil goes everywhere .:eek:
The best way to test a PCV is to try blowing air through the nipple end towards the threaded end. If air goes in that direction, your PCV is bad.
Don't buy a cheap one. Get it from Mitsubishi. The ones from the auto part stores don't last very long. My last fram PCV lasted 3 months.

·
Registered
612 Posts
scotthidley said:

The other outlet is the breather hose that goes to your intake pipe behind your mass.
thanks... I knew it was in that pic somewhere.. I just went to the wrong hole. (it's a tough life being a guy.. lets hope this doesnt happen again.. ;) )

-Aaron

·
Banned
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i cant blow air in it but i can the other one guess ill replace botrh adn see what happens...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts