DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all I was wondering if anyone has built one of these DIY wideband kits? http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm

Doesent look that hard to build and have a wide band kit for a little over $200 (american). Anyway just wondering if anyones built one. or if theres other ones out there i missed. thanks.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just got mine. I ordered a pre-assembled kit from them. Just got it a few days ago. I'm waiting for the O2 sensor to come in now and then I'll be able to see how well it works.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh cool yea let me know. :) I am looking to buy the DIY kit and build my own. But i would like to know how user friendly it is. Thanks

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I'm interested in the results of the DIY Wideband O2 setup, as I'm considering saving up for an FJO tunable/loggable one for summertime.

But if the DIY meets with good results, I'll definitely give it a shot !

Let us know how the soldering and installation goes ! Sure would be nice to have that much accuracy when reading air/fuel.

·
Registered
412 Posts
What else do you need besides the unit and the O2 sensor? How will you get the data? I see they sell a lot of options with it.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The data can be graghed on a computor or on there optional display. Personaly the computer method will work fine for me as the only time I would be using it would be on the dyno. ;) Not exactly sure on the program requiered as this is the info i got from the site. ;) Kinda waiting on dsmaniac do give a little review. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I should have the O2 sensor on monday. Work has been really busy and I haven't had much time to work on the car. I'll get the unit wired up and the O2 sesor installed this week sometime and then we'll see how well it works. I also have an e-mail out to techedge on how to use the RS232 for logging. From the website it sounds like I can use a simple terminal program set to 19.2K baud rate and it outputs 5 samples a second.

·
Registered
943 Posts
If I'm not mistaken you can pipe the data into TMO chips for 1g's and I know DSMlink can be made to log the WB O2's.... so theres an option also ;) (cheap if you are already running either of those ECU's)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am going to be building a wb02 also its a different design though. http://www.diy-efi.org/diy_efi/projects/diy_wb/
If you do a little searching on that site you will find some links to group buys for the parts and all and its real cheap if you know how to solder. I have not looked into any displays though as it will be displayed on my laptop:D Good luck to all and remember wb02s rock

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey thanks Syclone :D Great link. even better ride.;) I would love to slide a 4.3 turbo in my SS. Someday maby:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey no problem, I think I paid like $25 for the board and the piecesbut that was close to a year ago and the guy said he lost to much money on it so he upped the prices slightly. Thanks for the comment on the truck also can't wait till summer rolls around and I got all my new goodies on it :D What do you think of my friends talon, we just got it finished last friday this thing is going to be real fun once its broken in and tuned:cool:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I have the correct o2 sensor and just have to install the unit into my car. I've been unable to do that yet as things are really busy at work. I hope to get some time this weekend but it's not looking good for that right now. As soon as I get it installed you'll all be the first to know what I think of it. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Update...

I installed the wiring, brain box and the display over the weekend. I didn't have much time so I didn't get a chance
to install the WB O2 sensor. I want to add a second O2 sensor fitting on my down pipe so I don't have to keep swapping sensors.

I have about 800 miles on my new motor so I'm just now starting to get on it hard to start tuning at WOT.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for keeping us informed. I'd love to hear the result. Let us know!:D

·
Registered
132 Posts
O.k. Guys, I installed the 5 wire sensor in a second O2 fitting into my downpipe over the weekend. So here goes the first impressions...

So far it seems to be working exactly as advertized. One small gripe I have is that there is a LED on the "brain box" that tells when the unit is up to temp and giving good readings. Since I hid that box up by where the stock ECU is under the center console I can not see that. I wish they would have put the LED on the display piece. Maybe I'll move that LED later. The update rate is good, fast enough to see variations but not so fast that the numbers are just flying around unreadable.
I have not checked out the datalogging feature yet as my laptop has died. I've ordered the palm'n'stein logger which runs on a palm pilot. Supposedly this can datalog the WBo2 as well. I'm waiting to get the details on how, but I think if you have a federal car then you hook up the analog voltage out from the WBo2 to the unused EGR temp sensor input on the ECU. Fortunately I have a federal car so that is viable for me.
The autodim feature of the display works well although it is either too sensitive or too fast acting. I see the display brighten up and dim at night anytime I drive under street lamps. I think that is going to get anoying at night. I will mount the display so that I can place it face down as well so I don't have to see it. Only really need to see it for tuning or runing really hard.

At closed loop idle and cruise the display bounces slightly from 14.3 to 15.3. This looks good and seems like what it should do in closed loop as the ECU is in control of AF ratio. At WOT it goes to 10.8 which is nice and rich. Now I can fine tune WOT on the AFC some more. I had a feeling I was running pretty rich at WOT.
I think this will be a good tuning tool with my EGT and pocket logger I should be able to get things tuned in nicely.

I give this product a big two thumbs up!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts