DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, just curious, with belts in the engine bay, do we need to replace them over intervals? The timing belt has already been replaced, but I have hearing a serious squeeking coming from the engine bay on the timing belt side, and I am curious if that is a bad sign or not. Sounds weird, and I dont remember it ever doing that before. Now its getting colder so perhaps that and maybe condensation has something to do with it, but I seriously doubt it as it does it in the afternoon too when I drive it, and the car reaches full operatiing temp. Let me know what belts it might be if it is one, and what I need to look for or check.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The only times belts squeal is when they are loose, otherwise it's a bearing or something of that sort. Really the belts' conditions should be easily seen with inspection, I guess they could be changed on intervals but if they aren't very bad on inspection then it shouldn't be a problem. So I guess this is your que to look at all the belts, look for fraying, cracking, anything that just doesn't look right. Also check the tension, it shouldn't move very much vertically and shouldn't be able to spin at all on the pulleys. If you want to look at the timing belt, a portion of it can be seen after taking off the cover, three bolts. It's the part of the motor that made us all have humps in our hoods.

~jm

·
Registered
140 Posts
yeah the tbelt has a 60,000 inteverial. Get it changed a bit before that though. If you hear some type of squeal (like you said) you probley just have a AC belt or something to replace. Its very simple. Should only take like 20 minutes. Go get some belt dressing if you want to hold off for a bit (should quiet it down). Dont spray the timing belt though. But i would replace ASAP. you dont want chuncks to get stuck in by the timing cover and work their way into the timing belt. That would be bad. Bent valves everywhere!! Good luck. Goto www.vfaq.com to learn how to change the belts. Its easy! hope that helps:D

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Um, hard to describe, kind of a "squeek squeek squeek sound very rapidly. Im not an idiot on DSM, I've just about almost worked my way into the "Ultimate" post whore category here on DSMtalk, but there are very few posts about engine belts aside from timing, which I know is fine as I have already looked at that one a little while ago.

I suppose I will check it out tommorrow, I want to get all noises fixed on my car the moment I notice them, as it is the stupid stuff like that that makes me and others not like my car if they hear it. I cant stand the small stuff like that personally.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Myself I don't like belt dressing unless your sure it is that belt and you have to replace it anyway, otherwise I don't think it should be used. It softens up the rubber in the belt and therefore reduces it's lifetime.

I'm thinking it's a bearing of some sort, hopefully nothing to hard to fix....

I have a little squeal if I bog my motor quickly or when I shut it off, but it is of no concern right now as it is so small. However any problem I recognize I like to repair quickly, more than the image, I want the least amount of work and money so things almost have to be fixed immediately. For instance, my inner CV boots on my mercedes were torn, oil all gone, but I caught it in time and saved ~$500 on rebuilt axles. Managed to rebuild them myself....

Im not an idiot on DSM, I've just about almost worked my way into the "Ultimate" post whore category here on DSMtalk
Indeed, if you were clueless that'd be blowing a lot of smoke to get that rating. ;) Working my way upto harcore here eventually....

~jm

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sounds as if the belt(s) may just be loose. Try pushing on them with your finger. They should feel pretty taught. If they seem to give a bit, try tightening them. Mine was doing this until I tightened the alternator belt.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Sounds like an alternator belt to me. Is there any black rubber "dust" around that area? I bet its your problem.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im gonna go check it out now, damn this rain.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My air conditioner belt tensioner pulley had that "squeek squeek squeek" problem. I replaced the belt and the bracket with the pulley all at once, the belt was warped and the pulley was starting to freeze up.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Could be harmonic balancer is borken. I had similar squeak and no amount of tensioning the belts helped.

Then, while doing something else that required HD removal, the thing came off in 2 pieces.....the outer pulley and the inner section. The rubber ring had broken for some reason I dont know why. This is not something I could see and also couldnt see the thing slipping.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
vol96 said:
Could be harmonic balancer is borken. I had similar squeak and no amount of tensioning the belts helped.

Then, while doing something else that required HD removal, the thing came off in 2 pieces.....the outer pulley and the inner section. The rubber ring had broken for some reason I dont know why. This is not something I could see and also couldnt see the thing slipping.
Aparently this is a somewhat common problem with our cars. I keep a constant check on mine. So far, I have not seen any "wobble" or otherwise odd rotation when the engine is running. I am keeping my fingers crossed until I can afford the balanced underdrive pulley from Buschur. :D

·
Premium Member
3,398 Posts
Im actually amazed there isnt a vfaq on how to change the accessory belts, there should be. I havent looked in my car but Im guessing I will eventually have to change them, and its probaly a whole lot harder than on my cavalier...

·
Registered
634 Posts
If it's the alternator belt then why not add the AEM pulley to it- free up a bit more power ? :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
Yea those belts look like a PITA to change, I'm hoping mine will last quite a while longer. I'll get around to changing them eventually but am by no means in a hurry. :) I became a pro at changing the belt on my old cavalier. After ~5 alternators in less than a year and ~3 tensioner pulleys I had plenty of chances to take it off. Hmmm... I can't figure out why I don't like rebuilt parts anymore....

I'm not sure if it was specifically the AEM pulley or not, but I've heard a lot of people compaining that all those pulleys do is create charging problems at idle....

~jm

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
1BADDSM said:
I'm not sure if it was specifically the AEM pulley or not, but I've heard a lot of people compaining that all those pulleys do is create charging problems at idle....

~jm
I have the AEM pulley, and will vouch for that statement. It doesn't really cause any problems, but you can see the lights and dash dim at night when idling.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Remember the Alternator belt also turn the water pump if its loose you may not cool the car properly if it breaka and dont catch it right away cya later Engine DONT BE LAZY change the belt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts