DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is an Eclipse guy in town who claims to have a factory automatic 1998 GS-T that is heavily modded and claims to have 400+ HP while only running 14psi. The problem is that I heard rumors that it was originally a stock n/t in which he just slapped an aftermarket turbo on there. From what I heard from other DSM guys, he can only run 6-8psi on that stock longblock. What adds to my suspicion is that I once messed around with him with my old '95 automatic GT that had about 240HP that ran low-14s and he couldn't pull away with his "400HP" car.

To get to the point, his motor faces the opposite way compared to my other friends with real GS-Ts and GS-Xs (1991 models). The timing cover is on the other side which makes me want to raise the BS flag, not to mention his gauge cluster doesn't even have a factory boost gauge.

My DSM friends refuse to confront him about this since they are good friends. :rolleyes: How can I tell if its a factory turbo or n/t motor?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If its a '98 NT the engine will have the timing belt on the passenger side of the engine compartment. Opposite of factory GST's and GSX's.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
if the engine is flipped (timing cover on passenger side) then it is the 420A block and is N/A from the factory. if its jspec and flipped with a redcover and is ungodly beutiful then it is a late model 4g63 (doubt it)

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hahnracecraft produces a turbo kit for the 420A. I check that site out every once in awhile just to keep my knowledge up on the capabilities of that engine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm going to print this up and wait until the next time I see him. I'll get everyone around his car and make him pop his hood and give him one last chance to confess he is a liar (or a moron who brought the car and knew nothing about it).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts