DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
It does look loose. If there is only like 500 miles on that timing belt, something else wrong like the tensioner. On the other hand, if there is like 120,000 miles on the belt, get it done ASAP!!! A timing belt is cheap, a new head isn't. I would suggest getting a kevlar timing belt like a greddy or power enterprizes, and if you are a baller, then get the purple HKS hood bling belt.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The timing belt was changed shortly before I bought the car a month or so ago. I'm assuming the same mechanic that did it also put on a new tensioner. My question is from looking at it does it look loose at all? Like as in if I drive it it will fall off and skip teeth?

·
Banned
1,365 Posts
Its normal. When the car starts it will get much tighter.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
you won't feel the tensioner from where your pushing. thats just the belt stretching. The cam gears are to close together, and that belt wraps around each gear to much to be able to move a tensioner.

think about it.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It can even be tighter or looser than that depending on where the engine rests because the springs can cause the cams to rotate towards or away from each other.

The only way to really know if the tension is correct is to measure the gap on the tensioner (which means taking off the timing cover).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.