DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 16g on a 91 GST. I was looking at it today, and the shaft wobbles a little bit. How much is too much wobble? Is any wobble at all bad?

-Thanks
-Dave

·
Registered
729 Posts
It is perfectly normal for the shaft to have a slight bit of play. The bushings are not made to have the shaft rest directly on them, they have small holes that feed oil through to the shaft and the shaft actually rides on a layer of oil. Idealy the shaft never actualy touches the bushings during operation. When you move the shaft you are feeling the space that normaly is filled with oil.

It is hard to say how much play is acceptable and how much isn't. Obviously if your compressor wheel can touch the housing it is too much and you need a rebuild. Same with the exhaust side.

Unless you have noticed decreased performance or it leaks oil, it should be OK to put back on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The above statement is true and is known as radial play. This is acceptable but AXIAL play is NOT. If you can move the shaft in and out along its axis you are probably due for a rebuild soon if not already.

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
Okay, I'm going to show my ignorance here. When he said he was "looking at the turbo", does he mean the turbo was pulled off the car? I just wondering, bacause my turbo has 90,000 miles on it, so I'm wondering what I an do to check it to make sure it's okay before I send it off to be ported. You can see the shaft with it on the car???

Told ya, I'm a turbo newbie...

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

·
Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I say "looking at the turbo" I mean pullin gthe intake tube off and looking at the compressor blades. I didnt check the exhaust side. And I will check it for axial movement tommorow.

-Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts