DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to open my door today and my freakin door handle broke right off. I have never seen this before. I have just got to laugh :chair: its so ridic. I figure I will go to the junk yard and try to find a handle then take the door panel off and hopefully its not to hard to get on. Has anyone elses door handle ever snapped off before?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have had this happen a couple times. The handles are plastic and break with age. I do not like replacing 2G door handles. They are a really big pain to replace because the little plastic clips for the rods are a bear to align & then snap on and the little bolt in the back is impossible to see, reach, or turn. Best advice I have is make sure and have a short open/box end wrench & plan this task when you have a good hour plus to mess with it. Be ready for your other door handle to break as well.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mine broke on my Spyder right between oil priming/final inspection, and first start on my last build. Just went to swing the door open and click, broken handle. Put an ebay one on a few days later, and it worked for about two months. It never broke, but I'm pretty sure it fell apart inside, because it stopped disengaging the latch. Go buy an oem one from a salvage yard just to be safe.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had this happen a couple times. The handles are plastic and break with age. I do not like replacing 2G door handles. They are a really big pain to replace because the little plastic clips for the rods are a bear to align & then snap on and the little bolt in the back is impossible to see, reach, or turn. Best advice I have is make sure and have a short open/box end wrench & plan this task when you have a good hour plus to mess with it. Be ready for your other door handle to break as well.
Oh Great sounds like a fun day haha:mad:

Thanks for letting me know what it will take.:)

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,274 Posts
Its been an issue with these cars for a decade or more, so much so that a company made an aluminum billet piece to replace the plastic handle with so that its a final fix.

·
Registered
485 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
An A for creativity, but it's shit like this which is why dsm's have a horrible reliability reputation. Just go to the dealership and get a new one. Get one from a junkyard and you're gonna kick yourself in the nuts when it breaks again in a month.

Best advice while you're in there is to fill the slots of the new handle hinges with some JB weld to strengthen it up. Might also wanna find someone with small hands to get in there when replacing the handle if you don't qualify. It's extremely tight in there.

·
Registered
485 Posts
An A for creativity, but it's shit like this which is why dsm's have a horrible reliability reputation.
A poor reliability reputation is sometimes justly earned. I have been driving 2nd gen Honda CRX's since I bought my first in February of '88 (4 different cars, driven over 600,000 miles between my wife and myself over a 23+ year period) and NEVER had one of the plastic door handle assemblies on a CRX fail in any way.

They are plastic, too, just designed properly with ribs and stiffeners to take advantage of the strengths and weaknesses of the plastic alloy used to mold the base and pull handle. I'd wager that the design was subjected to Finite Element Analysis to facilitate the minimization of localized stresses during operation.

Proper design of components and mechanisms means that you test prototype and production parts thoroughly. As a mechanical engineer myself, I am VERY familiar with the drill. A complicated miniature motion-multiplier lever and cam mechanism (made of machined delrin, delrin AF, aluminum, and stainless steel parts) that I designed 10 years ago (and is currently on thousands of medical laboratory analyzers) went through continuous life-cycle testing that subjected the parts to a minimum of three projected lifespans before it was ever placed on an instrument shipped to a customer (hospitals and laboratories). Multiple assemblies of the double-sided trapdoor mechanism were cycling open and closed once every three seconds while being tested, which amounted to 1,200 times a day. I've never been notified of a failure, either during testing or on a delivered instrument.

I must say, however, in Mitsubishi's defense, that reliability standards for medical equipment are MUCH HIGHER than for (non-critical) automotive components and subsystems. Someone is not going to die as the result of a door handle failing. And in the 4-1/2 years that I've owned my '97 Spyder, I have yet to have an Eclipse door handle break (crossing fingers).

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,274 Posts
People that have breakage problems generally continue to have breakage problems due to the way that they open the door, they tend to yank on the handle rather than use it simply to unlatch the door as it was intended to do, yanking a piece of 15 year old plastic to open a 150 lb door with hinges that havent been lubed in 15 years is going to net you a broken handle.

·
Premium Member
1,781 Posts
Thread brings back a memory. Bunch of DSMer's go to the movies during winter. Buddy starts his 2g to warm up, closes door. Goes to open the driver door, handle breaks. Friend goes to open the passenger door, handle breaks! Car is running, 2 broken door handles. Luckily one guy lived 5 min away and had some lock out tools. Oh and I had the pleasure of changing both handles since I was working at a "dsm" shop at the time.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thread brings back a memory. Bunch of DSMer's go to the movies during winter. Buddy starts his 2g to warm up, closes door. Goes to open the driver door, handle breaks. Friend goes to open the passenger door, handle breaks! Car is running, 2 broken door handles. Luckily one guy lived 5 min away and had some lock out tools. Oh and I had the pleasure of changing both handles since I was working at a "dsm" shop at the time.
haha wow that would suck. Thats what I am afraid of happening. Going to look for a replacement handle today. Ill update later

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
My story of my driver's side door handle breaking actually occured when my car was being towed. :rolleyes:

The car was locked, and the guy pulled up on the handle real hard and SNAP...right off in his hand.

Needless to say, I MADE them have an OEM handle put in it at the dealer. Painted, too. :D

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,274 Posts
Dont bother with anything other than OEM on this one, trust me.

·
Registered
1,815 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
get the handle fix ( metal inserts) and you can be assured that it wont happen again....

Also with the pushrod during the reinstall I found its easier to leave the clip closed around the push rod, then when you get the handle in just push the plastic clip into the hole on the handle..... try it and you will thank me later

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I went to open my door today and my freakin door handle broke right off. I have never seen this before. I have just got to laugh :chair: its so ridic. I figure I will go to the junk yard and try to find a handle then take the door panel off and hopefully its not to hard to get on. Has anyone elses door handle ever snapped off before?
I owned a 2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse and the interior plastic door handle was broken when we bought it. We found replacement parts on Amazon and replaced both sides at the same time. When that car was totaled, I started looking for another. Ironically every one I looked at had the same door handle broken off! One dealer said he couldn't find parts, and claimed his technician had "fixed" the handle for $644 but the fix was zip tying half a handle into place! I laughed and pulled up the $30 parts on Amazon and said I could have done this for you for a lot less than your technicians! Needless to say I didn't buy that car...who knows what else they zip tied together to "fix". So it seems this really awesome car had a huge problem with plastic door handles breaking...just buy a few spares they come for left and right side doors, and figure you'll need to replace them in the future...or modify the interior with your own custom version with metal parts that don't break...another option.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just saw this re-opened thread and had to laugh. I had previously said that I hadn't experienced a handle breaking on my Spyder. Well, that was back in 2012, and it has since happened to me twice. I've had the car for almost 14 years now, and the most recent replacement was an OEM handle that I spray-painted first. Also had the passenger's side exterior door handle quit working, had that fixed by a shop. Not really impressed by Mitsubishi's design team- have seen a lot of strange mechanical & electrical failures, the most recent is the brake light switch draining the car's battery (to the point that the battery couldn't be recharged) while it sat in the garage. Waiting on a replacement switch right now, but really hate having to crawl under the dash, as I'm 70 now. Fortunately, I have a second car, an '00 Camry, which is a LOT more reliable, but not as enjoyable to drive.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts