DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger door has been acting up on me lately. I go to unlock it from the inside and it won't open from the outside, after a few tries it would open but now it has gotten to the point were it will not open at all from the outside. But it opens with no problem from the inside, does anybody know what this is? And what needs to be replaced?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
There's a plastic clip that holds the latches actuating rod to the handle. A lot of times they can wear out and the rod will be loose, or fall off where it mounts to the handle. Rip your door panel off and check to see if theres any loose rods going to the handle. If so, you either need to reattach it, or most likely get another little plastic rod clip at the junkyard or something. Good luck.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
fatalshock said:
There's a plastic clip that holds the latches actuating rod to the handle. A lot of times they can wear out and the rod will be loose, or fall off where it mounts to the handle. Rip your door panel off and check to see if theres any loose rods going to the handle. If so, you either need to reattach it, or most likely get another little plastic rod clip at the junkyard or something. Good luck.
Ok, thanks for the info. I'll check it out later.

·
Registered
260 Posts
fatalshock said:
Yeah what he said. Same thing happened to me on my drivers side door. I ended up taking the clip out and wrapping it in electrical tape so it would fit snug. Just a temporary fix but it works fine now.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well, I took off the panel today and checked the rod that attaches to the door handle. There is a plastic clip that holds the rod to the handle and it seems to be in place really good. Well, I was moving the latch with one hand and watching the rod move on the inside, its hard to explain, it seems like there is too much play. I shut the door and opened it from the outside and it opens but it feels loose, don't know how to explain it. The rod from the handle does not go down far enough to open the door, how can I fix this? If nobody can understand this, I'll try to explain it again. Thanks

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I think there is to much play where the rod from the handle attaches to the unit inside the door, don't know the name of it. Does this mean I need a new rod?

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Matt325 said:
Happened to me and I just got the jaws of life and cut the door off.
That does seem like an option right now, lol.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nobody have a solution? Kind of sucks I have to keep opening the door for the passenger, haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nobody have a solution? Kind of sucks I have to keep opening the door for the passenger, haha.

So I had the same issue, take 2 pair of channel locks and you can slightly straighten out the bar a little. Don't over do it though cuz it will end up not latching at all if you straighten too much.

I'm also having an issue right now with my other door where it will work from inside and outside but if I lock the door, the exterior handle won't work but the inside will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts