DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which downpipe can I use to mount on with the the stock turbo and cat? Will it require any modifications to it? Thanks.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
921 Posts
Almost all of them will fit as 99% of the public still ahve the cat on the car ( or what is left )

you should have no problem fitting one form a DSM vendor.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just curious, why bottleneck the exhaust with a stock cat? When I get a buschur dp, I will get a high flow cat with it.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just worried about smog issues (the Referree )...I live in CA..=(

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, Greddy IC Piping, Magnecores, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
7 Posts
Errrm,

I think the fast flow cat will give you good results at idle just like the stock Cat!

And hey - if your car fails, just put the stock cat back on... pass the test and go back!

Mark.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey guys, you know what I think I'll do, instead of paying 85 bucks for the jumptronix, i'll pay 25 for a digital multitester from radio shack or fry's, and itll look ugly but guaranteed to work over some man made equipment,(not to say it doesn't work, but to be sure I'd get a brand name multitester.) Hey are you guys gion out to the races again??? I'm getting my ECU today and hopefully my car will work.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
IMO - I wouldn't put on a downpipe without upgrading the cat also. The stock cat will just minimize any gain due the new dp, and you will just increase exhaust pressure at the cat connection. I just put on a Buschur downpipe and hi-flow cat, with minimal fuss. See review post I made. Awesome mod. I don't see why you wouldn't pass emissions with a hi-flow cat but, I'm not familiar with CA emissions routine. I also have the 3" Thermal cat-back system on my car.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hey what's up! Just got back from the races... a lot of Eclipses out here... but about the exhaust. I just bought my car a month and a half ago. The guy smogged it before I bought it, so I haven't smogged it yet. The reason I couldn't get my Autometer air/fuel gauge to work is because I am having sometrouble with either my ECU itself, or teh O2 sensor harness is whacko. It works fine but I don't want my autometer one anymore, I want a digital readout, which is far superior. I got it to match too with the boost gauge, but oh well you can't get it all.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,
Hey..we were up there at the races too! But we went kinda early around 12 and didnt' stay long. All of us were cruising in our own eclipses...Black, Red, and a white one!! I spanked this black SI last night and blew off the valve as I past him. I didnt' see his face but my other friend said he looked pissed. hehehehehe!

My friend has the Jumptronix A/F and he said it works great. Install was easy. Just 3 wires thats hooked up to the ecu. But he said its hard to get them. Its always on backorder at RRE. I don't know how good the reading is though. Anyone else have one?

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 30, 2000).]

·
Registered
333 Posts
why not just run a test pipe and remove it every 2 years when you need to smog it?

this is for you san diego DSMers, any of you or your friends need a 3" thermal catback for a 2G GST or 2.5" downpipe and testpipe for 2G GST? gimme a email [email protected]

·
Registered
333 Posts
spltscnd98gst:
if you need a testpipe let me know, i can weld you up one for $25 about cost of the materials. it will look daym good too, not no ****ty ass welds you get from some muffler shop or other shops

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lee,

doesn't the test pipe replaced the cat? thanks for the offer but no thanks. with my luck these days, a cop is gonna pull me over and look under my car and not find one. Thanks for the offer though...

Oh yeah..I got your email. I am interested in your downpipe for sale though. Its 2.5 and it'll bolt up to my stock turbo and cat right? I don't have the $ yet but I'll let you know next week (hopefully you'll still have it). I'll ask my friend if he's interested in your Thermals..

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited October 02, 2000).]

·
Registered
217 Posts
I don't think any aftermarket dp's will bolt on too the stock cat directly without some modification.

Am I wrong????

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes, aftermarket DPs will fit the stock cat. Only thing that won't *properly* fit would be the gasket, but you can always use your stock gasket until you get an aftermarket cat to bolt on to your DP.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Question, so does the inlet (dp side) of the stock cat have a 2.5" opening to match the aftermarket 2.5" outlet??? I thought the stock dp is only about ~1.5", hence the cat is ~1.5" and the outlet (exhaust side) ~1.75" so my "fake" 2.5" GReddy cat back flanges down to 1.75" to bolt on to a stock cat.

So the only way I have a true 2.5" exhaust is to take my car in to have my GReddy exhaust modified to bolt on to a 2.5" high flow cat???

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
557 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by spltscnd98gst:
Which downpipe can I use to mount on with the the stock turbo and cat? Will it require any modifications to it? Thanks.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have an Archer Racing 2.5" dp with a 2.5" high flo cat. Nice difference, especially about 4000 RPM. I also have a test pipe which I haven't tried on my 2G yet, but when I had my 91 Talon AWD, it made a huge difference in both power and spool up. If you want the real deal, try HRC's O2 eliminator dp, or a similar tubular O2 sensor housing. It would probably be better than a ported O2 housing anyway. I guess its all in the budget!

Jesse
99 GSX

1 - 16 of 16 Posts