DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to buy an intercooler within the next few weeks. I am wondering if there are any downsides to intercoolers like HRC's front mount where the crossover pipe is designed into the intercooler itself? Thanks

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
If I were you, I would look into the Griffin do-it-yourself IC on RRE. They go for $450 or so with endtanks pre-welded by RRE. Add about $100-150 for IC pipes and you have a kick ass front mount that is 24x10x2.75" in size. And that will be plenty for a car you are probally wanting. So for $550 or so, its the best bang for the buck. Search around and you will find several post about it. dsm1995gst (Scott) has one on his GST and he loves it.

Hope this helped you some.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I beleive that HRC's design is far better than that. But I do plan on going with a bigger turbo i the future so i would need the bigger FMIC. Thank you for your input though, it is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yeah, yeah. :D

The only thing that I could possible think of as a downside to it, besides PRICE would be the actual size. They might consider the crossover pipe part of the IC size. Which shouldnt matter as long as it gets the specs it has on their site.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
the design looks great and like they mention should make for very short piping. a friend of mine has a ic just like it on his cavalier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
There seems to be a gross misconception here..... the FMIC does NOT have a pipe running through it! This is a two pass cooler design where air goes in the bottom drivers side tank, flows through the bottom half of the intercooler, goes into the passenger side end tank and returns through the top half of the intercooler to the top drivers side end tank. The drivers side end tank is actually split down the middle to form two seperate tanks. I may have the flow path backwards, (may be top half first then bottom, beats me) but there is NOT a pipe in there :)

Keith

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Moved to Parts Talk.

BTW - what are the dimensions of that HRC core?

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Fourdoordsm said:
There seems to be a gross misconception here..... the FMIC does NOT have a pipe running through it! This is a two pass cooler design where air goes in the bottom drivers side tank, flows through the bottom half of the intercooler, goes into the passenger side end tank and returns through the top half of the intercooler to the top drivers side end tank. The drivers side end tank is actually split down the middle to form two seperate tanks. I may have the flow path backwards, (may be top half first then bottom, beats me) but there is NOT a pipe in there :)

Keith
Actually, it does have an air channel along the bottom of it that acts like a pipe. It is not a two-pass intercooler.

The charge air goes into the lower pipe fitting, which leads to the channel that runs underneath the core. It goes through the channel and into the passenger side end tank. It then goes through the core and into the drivers side end tank.

http://www.hahnracecraft.com/hahn/parts/intercool.htm for more info.

·
Registered
97 Posts
James92TSi said:
Actually, it does have an air channel along the bottom of it that acts like a pipe. It is not a two-pass intercooler.

The charge air goes into the lower pipe fitting, which leads to the channel that runs underneath the core. It goes through the channel and into the passenger side end tank. It then goes through the core and into the drivers side end tank.

My Bad! I thought people were actually saying a pipe ran through the intercooler and I didn't look for that passage at the bottom (since it don't seem to line up with the pipe). Hell, I think my idea is a better one :D

Keith

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
James92TSi said:

wow i wasn't aware it was the exact same intercooler as on my friend's cavalier. i just figured they were kinda similar. but you can definitely tell that they're identical.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts