DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to drill for a return line in the oil pan? Any special techiques or safety precautions I need to take?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah, take the oil pan off the car! Not sure if that's what you were going to do or not, just making sure. I've seen some dumbasses drill with the pan still on the car, needless to say they went about 10 miles before they needed a rebuild.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been reading up on this...and I have seen that people have 'tapped' the pan with it still attached...but afterwards they throw a few quarts of oil in the engine with the oil pan plug opened...therefore flushing out any possible shavings. Does this sound ok?

·
Registered
148 Posts
nope you have to take the oil pan off in order to do it right ,and less worries in long run.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It's your car so you can drill it on the car if you want to. It will cut down considerably on time, but trust me it's not worth it. If I was you I would take off the pan. I haven't heard any other reply's so take what I say with a grain of salt and wait for some more advice. I'm just telling you that I've witnessed it first hand ruin an engine, because you can't be 100% that all the shavings will be removed.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Dude, you're going thru all that trouble to put a turbo on your car, you will not spend one hour to remove the oil pan and do it right?

Remove it, drill it, and clean it real good and put it back.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only reason I didn't want to remove the pan was because then I have to remove the downpipe (which was a pain in the ass to get to fit) and also that crossbeam.

But you guys make sense...its best to just drop the pan. Is it better to drill then or 'tap'?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Weld the return line(so it'll never leak) and use a high temp hose in between the line from the turbo and the line on the oil pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts