DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Attachments

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
Had I known you needed them yesterday I would have packed them up with me on my trip up here to Connecticut. (not turning into a for sale thread just stating this)

The pass airbag comes off by removing the dash completely and taking it off from behind.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should have posted yesterday lol. Oh well.

Did either of you guys check out the ebay thread? I think it has all the parts I need for the replacements. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Yes that is part of what you need. You will also have to replace the srs control unit. It's under the center console. I got this info off of shopkey. You will also need to fully inspect all parts and replace anything else that looks damaged.

Heres some pics to help you out. Hope you find everything you need.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doesn't seem to bad at all. Do you know if the SRS control unit needs to be replaced first, so that the airbags don't go off during installation or something like that?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Just unhook the battery and let it sit for a few hours so that it drains the elecric out of the system. Once it's drained, start putting it back together. It doesn't matter when you put the SRS module in, it just needs to be before you repower the system. However, be caredul when removing the pass side bag, if you're not gentle, you can break the tray it sits in and it'll sit funny in the dash.

·
Elite DSMtalker
5,037 Posts
I have my old SRS module if you need one.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found all the pieces at a junkyard for like 52 bucks lol. Thanks anyways. And thanks to punker and insulin, I'm about to go put them in now.

·
Registered
757 Posts
There is some seriously wrong info in this thread.
I got into a little accident with my 97 GSX a while ago, the air bags deployed even though there wasn't much damage.
Things I had to change: Both Airbags and SRS ECU.
Unplug your Battery and any audio capacitor or alarm backup battery you might have.
Driver's side airbag is held on by 4 bolts that are behind the airbag. Remove those, disconnect the airbag. Connect new one and bolt it in.
Passenger's side airbag: Open glove box, remove the little clip so that the glove box swings all the way open. Unbolt the two bolts holding the passenger side airbag and disconnect the airbag from the harness. Reverse procedure for installation.

Now onto the SRS ECU. 95-96 and 97-99 as far as I know have different ECUs. I bought an ECU from a 96 Talon that DID NOT FIT IN MY 97. It didn't plug in, the plugs are completely different. Do not try make it fit.
I got an SRS ECU from a 98 GST that worked fine.
If you bought an ECU from the junk yard, I would take it to the dealership to get it checked to see if it has been deployed or not. Do NOT DROP THE ECU... EVER!
The most un-nerving part about the whole thing is plugging the battery back in after you've changed everything.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Korona said:
I found all the pieces at a junkyard for like 52 bucks lol. Thanks anyways. And thanks to punker and insulin, I'm about to go put them in now.
I would reccomend replacing all of the mentioned components, as well as the clockspring (behind the steering wheel), and the impact sensors (behind the front bumper?). I'm not sure, but the SRS module may have to be configured by a dealer (I'm not sure about this on a 2G T/E). Be very cautious with used airbag components, as there condition is uncertain. Finally, be VERY CAREFULL when handling the new inflators (the airbags); be sure not to touch the squibb connector pins, as a static charge from your finger can deploy the air bag. I would reccomend getting a factory service manual to be sure.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I installed all of the pieces earlier today and everything is perfect. Thanks a million to everyone who posted in this thread. And to infinity, you are absolutely right. I have a 96 and got the SRS sensor off of a 95. A 97 and up would not have worked on my car. One thing I did not change was the clockspring, and you can hear it rattling a bit as you turn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts