DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My drivers side half shaft boot is ripped. I was talking to my father and he said back in the day there was a boot you could buy that would bolt over the boot. Does anyone know anything about this?

If not how hard is it to change the boot?

·
Registered
55 Posts
They're not worth wasting your time trying to install if anyone even makes them any longer.It's not that hard to R&R an axle.Remanufactured axles have come down in price a lot and they have a lifetime warranty that even covers the boots. I can buy them for most vehicles for about $70 , I get a better price than you probably can since our shop buys most of our parts though Napa.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,738 Posts
i got my axles on discount from napa and got the both fronts for only $90. replacement is definitely the answer. although you'll also need a 32mm axle nut socket which might set you back some more. and an impact is definitely the way to remove those things.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure its bigger than 32mm, not positive I think it's 36. Impact is definitely the way to remove it. Don't impact it back on though. Use a torque wrench. I think the spec is 167ft/lbs.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
I noticed one of my front boots starting to crack and replaced them all. That is not much of a job either. My CVJ's were in good shape and you can't beat the quality of an OEM axle.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yeah if you catch it real quick it is definitely cheaper just to replace the boot. If it's been a while since it ripped though, you can probably forget about it. And keep an ear out for a clicking noise too. That's where my axle is now. Too bad I have no money. Will that thing fly apart on me????I could never get a real answer about running on a bad axle.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I caught mine early and didn't feel like taking the axle out. I have done stuff like that before but don't feel like it.

I got a cheap slip fit boot for $15 :eek: and filled it with redline grease. I know it is not the best thing to do but it will be ok for a little while. I don't like to drive in rain with it on though.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
If you have a split boot, all the other boots are the same age and have flexed the same amount. So, I suggest, unless you snagged something, fixing one boot or even one axle isn't the answer. And when you have the front done, if AWD, you need to be checking the rear too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok I am going to replace the axle and everything. Thanks for the help everyone.:D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
barney said:
If you have a split boot, all the other boots are the same age and have flexed the same amount. So, I suggest, unless you snagged something, fixing one boot or even one axle isn't the answer. And when you have the front done, if AWD, you need to be checking the rear too.
I think mine split when the flatbed pulled it up on the bed, it had a tear that lined up with it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Otis said:
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure its bigger than 32mm, not positive I think it's 36. Impact is definitely the way to remove it. Don't impact it back on though. Use a torque wrench. I think the spec is 167ft/lbs.
Its a 32mm (I just did it) and the spec is 144-188 ft/lbs.

Do the whole thing instead of just trying to fix the boot. The time and effort to get to it, you might as well replace it. The hardest part is on an AWD where you have to separate the intermediate from the axel shaft. A few good whacks (while out of the car) will separate them. Keep your circlip (dont bother with a new one) and get a remanufactured axel. Only about $80 from your local NAPA.

Dont mess around with breaker bars, just go to a shop real close to your house. They should break it for free. Drive home and do the swap yourself. Make sure the replacement axel is not siezed. (Had it happen. PITA cause you ahve to go back and wait for a replacement for that replacement. :p )

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Unless a bearing problem, there is no reason to mess with the intermediate shaft. Just pull the snap ring and spider and slip on the new boots.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I am not sure how long he boot has been ripped since I just bought the car. The last owner didn't take good car of it. Bad alt so he pulled all the fuses. leaking oil pain. ext ext.

So I am just going to replace it all and be done with it.

Thanks everyone for the help. I am going to my friends shop this week to get it taken car of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts