DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last nite i droped my oil pan in the process of removing my balance shafts (at first i was very intimidated by the timing belt/balance shaft vfaq, proud to say i took everything off from the upper t-belt cover to the rear balance shaft in 2 1/2 hours heh) and in the bottem of the oil pan i found sum small aluminum chips..all of them were flat shaped, niether side of the chips had a smooth finish..as in the chips were rough on both sides..what could this have been? parts of my pistons? what all is aluminum in the motor..the head..the pistons...the front cover??
my motor always ran real well...the bearings on the shafts and the bearings in tha block looked real good, never heard any weird noises or anythin..what do you guys think it may be??

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
i had some when i took mine off to. i dont think its horribly uncommon on a high milage engine but that was just what i figured. hell it could be pieces that have been there since the thing was milled out. dont take my word for it thats just my thought.:rolleyes:

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
When i destroyed the bearings in my 1st motor that's what i found in my oil pan...cept billions of them.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had some small chips like that in the pan & oil sump pickup screen - AND a bent number one rod - car ran great till oily t/belt wrung teeth off belt at crank. Rod bearings looked "OK" but I've seen far better - Crank spins great. Good Luck - we need it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts