DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello DSM'ers,

It's Justin from Australia here, I have just received my car back from the workshop after having the DSMotorsport T3/T4 50 Trim Stage 3 installed in my Hyundai Sonata which is using a 2G Gs-T transplant.

I started off like many, reading many personal reviews on owner's websites, and on here and the other main public DSM forum, as well as some of the regional forums of the USA. I was looking at buying a T3/T4 turbo, as i allready had a custom Garrett T3 flanged exhaust manifold with a T3/T4 before. The problem was that i didn't want to use an internal wastegate, and much preferred to use an external, whether it be manifold mounted, or on the dump pipe. The next thing I definitely wanted to do, is scrap the custom manifold i had, and purchase a "one material" cast manifold. The problem with using a custom exhaust manifold i found, was that the different materials used in the pipe and the flanges, cause cracks, as they heat up and cool down at various rates, not to mention the weld that joins them together. In my application, i did not want to buy a dump pipe with the external wastegate flange, as i wasn't sure if it would fit in the sonata. Therefore, i looked for a package that would include the exhaust manifold with the wastegate mounted flange. I found the price of the DSMotorsport package to be quite reasonable, as many have commented. The package included, The turbonetics turbo, turbonetics exhaust manifold, Tial 35mm external wastegate and all the necessary nuts and bolts and gaskets, along with the stainless oil feed line.

The reason why i decided to buy this turbo, is because my old diesel turbo was a complete dog for a street car applicaiton. The .78 AR turbine and the .5AR Compressor cover was a very bad mismatch in my opinion for a street application. As the usual story goes, i picked it up cheap, at a convenient time, and regretted it since. The new turbo, is a Stage 3 hot side in a .63AR housing, with a standard bearing centre, mated to the T04E compressor with a 50 Trim compressor wheel. The spool is MUCH better, i can audibly hear it spooling at 2500rpm, and it's reacing 18psi (my preset limit for now) by 3700rpm, holding dead steady to redline. There is no drop off. I have HKS 264/272 cams installed, so i decided to choose the 50 trim to help spool down low, and let the cams help, up top. For this reason, i did not choose the 57 or 60 Trim, as i was sick of not having usable boost in 1st & 2nd gear with my old turbo.

The package included a Tial External Wastegate that my mechanic said, seemed to regulate boost to approx 11psi. I am using a local manual 2 stage Turbosmart boost controller to regulate boost at 18psi. I forwent purchasing the dump pipe and the external wastegate screemer pipe, and got the Greddy EGT peak hold guage and a ralliart metal multi layer head gasket instead, so i can't comment on those two parts of the package. The screemer pipe my mechanic made, is similar to what the store sells though. I personally don't like the sound of the wastegate vented to atmosphere, and will be plumbing it back into the exhaust soon. It kind of makes a fluttering noise, which stops you from hearing what's going on in the engine bay under throttle. Something to note about this package, is that i had a 3" custom inlet pipe made up due to the 3" compressor inlet, as you can see from the pictures.

Power: It's fairly hot here in the Sunshine State of Queensland at the moment (35degrees), so my mechanic tuned the car a little on the rich side on the dyno using the wideband sensor at 11.7:1. He normally tunes at about 12.7:1. EGT's to give you an idea, are only hitting 8 on the EGT guage at this stage, so there's a lot more to go. The car is running 18psi and dyno'd at 215kw/280hp @ the wheels on a Dyno-Dynamic's Load bearing dyno.

The website for where i bought this turbo is http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com I am very happy with my purchase. The owner of the store is Nathan Crisman. I ordered this package on a Monday and received it here in Australia on a Friday, which i was very happy about. There were a number of emails back and forth before purchase and some during delivery, to which each was answered within the day. I also felt comfortable purchasing from someone that actively took part in his regional DSM forum, and had decent pictures and videos of his work on his site.

I would purchase from this vendor again. I am looking to get the Eagle Rods/Wiseco Pistons combo Nathan sells, after purchasing the BM-Tranny FWD LSD I am sourcing through him, as other stores don't trust sending overseas, or are to busy to talk to overseas customers.

The pictures of my install are here at;
http://dsm20.topcities.com/engacc.htm

A picture of the EGT Guage installed is at;
http://dsm20.topcities.com/interior.htm

And some miscellaneous pictures of the car outside the shop yesterday;
http://dsm20.topcities.com/bodywork3.htm

I will post some mpegs next weekend. Unfortunately it rained here today, on indy-car weekend, which stopped me from having them ready right now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
shipping

how much did you pay for shipping?
how was it shipped? usps, fed ex,

I ask because I'm thinking about buying a front mount kit from him, and I'm at an apo address. just trying to figure out the cost on things.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would need to email him and ask him, my package would weigh a bit more than an intercooler, /or pipework. overseas freight is by mail, and there is a max width/height you can have. Another thing is goods and services tax, you'll need to work out the jap rates. The usps website, will give you an idea for freight, click in the international freight section. most of the companies are similar. Nate offered me quite a few choices. I personally would not use usps myself again, i'd rather try fed ex.

·
Registered
22 Posts
shipping

yeah man, usps already lost 1 of my packages from machV which was $233.

so I would definitely go with fed ex and spend the extra $150 for shipping.
I'm surprised you got your package so fast. did you ship it express.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah i was fairly surprised to. the box was marked UPS expedited, so i assume that may be a fast service.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I sometimes can't get parts tha fast form Cal to Tex :dunno:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Justin, just curious....did you have to permanently remove youre radiator fan?...It looked like it was missing in the pictures.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
On the sonata from factory, the fan sits one on either side. I'm using the standard fan on the front side of the radiator, which sits on your drivers side. And i'm using a Davis-Craig Slimline fan on your passenger side, which is on the engine bay side. Both fans use the normal cycle of on/off, i don't use a manual switch, or have them permanently turned on.

The 2G eclipse uses two sets of smaller fans than the sonata, and the radiator is smaller also, so i decided to leave the sonata one, until it naturally bowed slightly 6 years into it's life. Now i'm using a new core to avoid any hassles. I did make the mistake of changing coolant type in the radiator a little while back, which i'm sure caused the problem with the radiator. I got a full flush done when that happened.

·
Registered
749 Posts
when we gonna see some videos of this bad boy :rockon:

peace

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got my friend to put together some clips of my car in one file 22.2meg large, i just need someone to host it for me. i have a cable connection to transfer to someone, can anyone help?

The mpeg is a collection of all the videos i have of my old setup. I'll put another one together as i get some time, of the t3/t4 50 trim currently installed and running.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, i now have a server, here is the file. it's 22meg large. this is a compilation of some short videos before the new turbo setup. I'll let you know when the next one is made in a couple of months time. Hope you enjoy it.

DSM-SONATA-1.MPG

·
Registered
749 Posts
sweet video, is that a skyline i see :rockon:

peace

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
at the start, yes, an r32 which now has an rb25det motor swapped in. skylines are very popular here in australia. They're cheaply available from Japan. it's fantastic being in a right hand drive market :) The car in the race at the end is a nissan pulsar gti-r a 4wd sr20det powered "rally" type car. the white car is a 323 mazda familliar gtx 4wd.

·
Registered
749 Posts
man you guys get all the good shit, wish we could buy skylines without spending 100k :p

peace

1 - 16 of 16 Posts