DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Please find the rules here:

DSMtalk.com MASTER RULES

We have done a light reformat/update of the rules page. Please take note of the new rule, #7. For those too lazy to follow the link, here is the rule:
DSMtalk.com Rules said:
YOU MUST post in plain, discernable, correctly spelled and capitalized English! Repeated failure to do so will result in disciplinary action. Threads that contain posts with poor grammar (regardless of whose it is) are subject to being locked.
This is an expansion of a rule that has always existed, but was formerly known as "Please use legible English." Apparently that didn't get the message across.

The new rule is effective immediately and we will be enforcing it. We expect that the vast majority of new posts/threads will end up being closed at first until folks start getting the idea. Stubborn users who are slow to conform will likely be banned - there are too few of us to constantly be sending out warnings to users.

The motivation behind this should be obvious. One is hard pressed to come to DSMtalk these days and read an entire thread that isn't littered with posts that give you a headache from lack of capitalization or sentence structure. DSMtalk used to be the preeminent site for useful posts and information, and helpful/knowledgeable users, out-ranking other DSM sites by far. Now we have long been outpaced in that category and it's a shame. Please help us get back on top.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I couldn't agree more. By the way, why do we have a Lounge section? It rarely has anything to do with quality DSM information.

·
Registered
5,385 Posts
Thank you nuke. :tree: :tree: :tree:

·
Registered
173 Posts
My spelling isn't always the best but I'm am just curious how strict people will be. But none-the-less I do think it is a good rule not to let the posts look like garbage.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
GIZMO said:
My spelling isn't always the best but I'm am just curious how strict people will be. But none-the-less I do think it is a good rule not to let the posts look like garbage.
Well, we're gonna be pretty freakin' strict. That's how we do things here. :tat:

In my opinion, effort is the key. Make the effort to spell correctly, write in complete sentences, use correct punctuation, and capitalize appropriately. One can easily tell when reading a post whether a mistake is isolated (a genuine mistake), or a result of the author's complete lack of effort toward using legible English. We are trying to weed out the latter.

The point of this rule change isn't to uphold the glory of the English language by enforcing its rules. The point is courtesy and consideration toward those who read the posts you make on the forums. A little effort up front when writing a post makes for a greatly improved experience for those who read your posts later. A lack of effort when posting is inconsiderate to those same readers and will no longer be tolerated.

Do your best and you'll be fine.

·
Banned
577 Posts
What if we type in bad engrish on purpose? Sometimes, in my opinion, it's necessary(sp?) to get a point across, or perhaps make a funny. Will that be tolerated or not?

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
FINALLY! i hate trying to decipher what people say with abbreviations and no punctuation. gives me a headache. i've seen how strict you guys are being on this too, greenstreak has already closed some threads saying use proper english lol. good english FTW! :D

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
ms outlook features?

Would it be possible to turn on Outlook features (or something similar) on replies, threads, etc?

(I am very spoiled on Outlook capitalizing for me... ) shift key hard to reach... :eek:

I usually don't need it but there is that handy auto spell check feature also. (The green and red lines that offer other options when you right click.)

Just a suggestion to keep DSMtalk numero uno...

-Neal

·
Honorary Administrator
3,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We may get a spell checker for the reply box at some point. As for automatic capitalization... come on, the shift key is right there.

Also, I find it ironic that some folks are posting with excitement about this rule, yet they're doing it without using the shift key. :confused:

·
Banned
577 Posts
^^^^^^WTF is that? Could it be, naw, yeah it is; a dickless bitch spammer ass clown. Holy crap Nuke it's time to drop a bomb! That's kinda crazy that he went through all the trouble to register and then posted that bullshit in the rules thread. In for ban and IP trace, EE where are ya.

·
Premium Member
2,474 Posts
2G6 said:
^^^^^^WTF is that? Could it be, naw, yeah it is; a dickless bitch spammer ass clown. Holy crap Nuke it's time to drop a bomb! That's kinda crazy that he went through all the trouble to register and then posted that bullshit in the rules thread. In for ban and IP trace, EE where are ya.
i second this idea.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thank god! If you are looking for someone to police this problem, allow me to search through the new posts daily. It drives me nuts to see how bad this issue has become. If I got a half of a penny for every post that semeed to be written by a four year old, I would be smokin sheps car.
But all jokes aside, PM me if you need some assistance to make sure this rule is followed.

Jon

·
Registered
677 Posts
I for one thinks it a pretty dumb rule. Not everybody knows proper english. You guys do know that we have people who use English as a second language. Like some hispanic users, or those from another country. I know you like to look civilized (sp?), but come on. Deleting somebodies post who might not be using the bad grammar on purpose is just ridiculous. Thats just my 2 cents.

P.s. All you others are on your own, im just looking out for my international hombres.

·
Honorary Administrator
4,869 Posts
Thanks for telling us what you "thinks", but this isn't a vote, nor are we asking for tips and tricks on how to enforce this rule.

The bottom line is, there is a lot of moon language on this board, and we will be enforcing this rule as our way of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thnak You

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.