DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize how stupid I am but no one I know knows a ton about cars so this is the only place I can ask. What is a VTEC? I saw an integra today with a VTEC plate on the back and everybody talks about them so please anyone enlighten me thanks

·
Registered
232 Posts
Variable Timing and Electronic Control or something like that.. it has a seconds set of camshaft lobs ground for high rpm that it switches to at high rpm. like a mid acceleration camshaft swap.

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
701 Posts
VTEC is Variable Timing Engine Control. At a certain RPM, I think around 6000, the engine switches to a different camshaft. Here is an article about Toyota's VVTi and VVTLi, which is basically the same thing:

What's VVT-i and VVTL-i???
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That has been a question a lot of people have been asking lately. What is VVT-i and VVTL-i and what do they do and why are so many people talking about it. Well VVT-i is Variable Valve Timing - with intelligence and VVTL-i is Variable Valve Timing & Lift with intelligence. So we got that out of the way what do they both do to my motor???
Well lets explain VVT-i that's in the Toyota Celica GT's first. Variable Valve Timing with intelligence is quite remarkable in it operation and what it does. Most cars run on valve timing that is set and cannot be changed unless you buy a set of aftermarket cam gears. Which this method is quite pricey but can give you better performance usually at the cost of fuel economy and usually makes your low-end power suffer to make the top end of your power band better. This sometimes hurts drivability. So you can see for buying adjustable cam gears it can do well at the track but you might have a hard time driving around at 30 miles per hour.
Enough about that. VVT-i is a tuners best friend as it tunes your car as you drive. Always adjusting your valve timing but the way of spring loaded cam gears that can change in a heartbeat at the computers wishes. The new VVT-I motors also have a computer controlled ignition system that changes ignition timing in a moments notice along with the variable valve timing. So when your cruising along on the highway or downtown and your not looking to rip up the asphalt the computer senses that, adjusts the valves and ignition to make the motor use less fuel. When your looking to get from 0-FAST as soon as possible and you mash the throttle the computer senses the throttle wide open and reads the sensors on the motor to determine the best positions for your valves and ignition timing to give you the most power!! And its constantly changing while you drive. Even after you take off and switching through the gear the computer is still working on the best timing for that rpm and throttle position as well as other factors to get you going fast! So as you can see this isn't your ordinary computer. This thing actually thinks about doing what's best for your motor. How to save the most gas when you're on that trip or how to make the most ponies when you're at the track this computer is on our side!!!

Now if you got that digested and feel confident about your VVT-i knowledge then we are going to give you a shot of "roids" in your arm to let you feel how the VVTL-i feels when you hammer on this engine. The VVTL-i engine in the new Celica GT-S is ready to throw you back in your seat and take you for a serious ride. The VVTL-i motors use all the same technology that was mentioned about the VVT-i motors but adds a twist to the deal. It not only changing valve and ignition timing on the fly, it also has a second set of cam profiles on each cam to give you the "race car when you want" it approach. Tach it up to 6 grand and the motor turns into a monster. The motor puts out a scream as it warps into hyper drive! It feels like a race turbo kicking in with all the added horsepower and torque in a matter of a few hundred rpms.
If you think it put you in your spot when you launch from a stop wait till you hit 6!!! This isn't a slightly noticeable change either. It's a "WOW I'm moving!" That's were you get the "L" or Lift for the VVTL-i, the second set of cam profiles adds more lift to the valves and increases power dramatically I might add! It uses oil pressure to push a pin under the rocker arms and cams to force the motor to use the bigger profiles that are not used under normal driving.
That's it in a nutshell and without going into huge detail that I don't even know all about it. But if you understand how the technology operates then you will appreciate the car even more and leave with a better understanding of these new motors.

-Dave

ps- the author of this article is Jason Bly

·
Registered
232 Posts
yeah toyota has VVTL-i, honda has VTEC, mitsu has MIVEC, bmw has theirs, ford and chevy have theirs... yes even lamborgini's have theirs..on the 2000 6.0L anyways.

------------------
J. Hunter Allred

'95 GS-T free mods, K&N, 3" HKS Superdragger, ACT2600, lightened flywheel, and otherthings that escape me at the moment. T-25 handicapped though. As you can see its a work in progress. Figure if i buy it i should buy it once :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. One more question... do DSM's have anything like this? Or is it a mod? Particularly first gens... and how much money would it cost if you did put something like that in?

·
Registered
871 Posts
no none of the dsms have a feature like this and it's not a mod you can install. dsm's are blessed with something much better...that round looking thingy hangin off the exhaust manifold :D i'd take that over any vtec, mivec, hightech, or whatevertech is out there.

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
557 Posts
VTEC stands for variable Valve Timing and Electronic lift Control. The intake and exhaust camshafts have two lobes per valve.
One for driveability and gas mileage and the other for high rpm horsepower. Another words its like having and aftermarket cam when you are racing and a factory cam when you're just cruising around.
It would've be cool if Mitsubishi had imported an optional MIVEC head for the 4G63T from the factory. :) Probably would have kick hp up to around 250!

Jesse
99 GSX

[This message has been edited by DiamondsR4EVR (edited September 10, 2000).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts