DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tracked down a wire (black with yellow stripe - otherwise the bottom wire) connected to the illumination knob. Only thing is it shows voltage when you turn down the illumination and that tells me it will brighten the gauges when I want them less. The grounds are easy though. By the way if anyone is having problems with the cigarette lighter not working I've figured mine out and repaired it. Email if me if you want instructions.

Frisco

·
Registered
81 Posts
You don't use a ground for the illumination circuit. One side of the bulb gets connected to constant +12 volt and the other side gets connected to the "dimmer" wire. When there is +12V on the dimmer wire there is no current flow through the bulb and it is dim. When you turn the dimmer control the voltage on the dimmer wire goes down. As the voltage decreases more current flows through the bulb and it gets brighter.
I found the easiest place to tap into is on the drivers side of the console. Remove the carpet side piece and on the metal chassis there will be a connector with three wires in it. Use a meter to determine which is the +12 and which is the variable one.

------------------
Chris Holmes
'91 Plymouth Laser RS Turbo
www.geocities.com/motorcity/speedway/5051

·
Honorary Moderator
653 Posts
I just connected to one of the wires on the fog light switch on my 1G. I just metered until I found a wire that had twelve volts when the running lights turned on, and I ran the ground to a screw under the dashboard. But, I cannot control the dimmer...never thought about it, actually...

------------------
John Lewis
1991 Eclipse GS Turbo

1 - 3 of 3 Posts