DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One day I took out my seats, tire, and jack. I noticed a little more kick(it might have been in my head) Anyway, Does anyone know what I can remove that reduces weight? My car is daily driven so I want my seats and I might need the spare tire. So what else is there?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well easy answers are the A/C and sound deadener. If you dont mind road noise pull up your carpet and remove the sound deadener all over the car. A/C system is pretty heavy but depending on where you live you might not want it gone. Also swapping out stock parts for lighter ones, but this can cost a lot of money.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Don't mess with the heat shields. They weigh in at a total of maybe one pound and the entire time you are running hard without them, you are melting the plastic parts under the car. Not a good choice unless you replace them with header wrap.

A better choice for weight reduction is:

Floor mats
The hatchback trunk cover thingy
Back seats
The cover over the spare tire
Empty the washer fluid
Lose all the bull crap stereo eqipment
Empty the glove box and console
Run on 1/4 tank of race fuel
Replace the battery with a smaller, lighter unit
Replace the stock rotors with lightweight units (see comment below)
Lose the A/C, PS, and ABS
I have a 10lb. flywheel and Centerforce clutch. These are good weight reducers too.

The most important weight loss should come by way of lighter wheels, tires, and rotors. Less unsprung weight = easier to make the tires move = faster 0-60, faster 60-0, and better handling.

·
Registered
303 Posts
..and fast a week before the track event ;)

·
Registered
83 Posts
To add to the list:
Bumpers
Charcoal Canister
Lightweight Hood
Yank Interior Completely
Lightweight Race Seats
5pt Harnesses
Spare Tire and Everything to do with it.
Replace Glass with Lexan

and the list goes on......

·
Registered
333 Posts
whats the weight of 1G AWD stock? also, whats the lightest street driven awd you have seen and what did it weigh in at?

·
Registered
231 Posts
...Or you could run your ass around the block a few times. That might not be the easiest, but it will work. Once you drop that weight you won't be sweeting like a pig without the AC. HA!

Zach
'92 Laser RS Turbo AWD
"RSX"

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow! I had some of those things in mind but it is a daily driver. I never thought of emptying the washer fluid. I don't need it any since I always seem to clog the sprayers with car wax.
How do eclipses drive without power steering? How do you go about ripping it out?
If I had another car to daily drive, my eclipse interior would be gone.
Hey LEE, 1G eclipses fwd = about 2600 lb so figure + 300lbs for awd. 2G range from 2900-3200. My friend has a 1g fwd that weighs 1800 lb just from saying goodbye to the interior.
Thanks for the info on heat shields, I was thinking of getting rid of it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
don't forget the exlax, also you can completely remove the rear wiper and sprayer system. I left my sprayer and reaimed it so I can shoot the windshield of people riding my ass. Works pretty good.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Front Bumper Support

took it off and replaced that area with an apex fmic. the support seems pretty heavy, 20 lbs maybe. Hope it doesn't get me killed.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Yeah, anyone here removed their front bumper? I was thinking about doing so, and going with a 2G intercooler kit like the Large Greedy, but if I crash that would probably be no good. Would a 2G kit work if you removed the bumper?

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
kpresa said:
I left my sprayer and reaimed it so I can shoot the windshield of people riding my ass. Works pretty good.
LMAO! I think I'll do this. Everyone out here in hicksville likes ass ridin'

·
Registered
97 Posts
Anyways my project laser didn't have a front bumper when I bought it. I was in a pretty good wreck with it too and it didn't seem incredibly hard. I didn't even learn about the missing bumper until I actually removed the wrecked bumper and then learned about 3 weeks later that there was supposed to be a stell bumped back there. http://www.dejontool.com has an aluminum replacement bumper I am thinking about getting.
I doubt the bumper is actually needed that much. If the crash is significant enough then it will just go to the crumple zones.

With regards to the sprayer. It only gets like 7-8 feet right now but I am looking at my old nt fuel pump and I believe a replacement one may flow better too. maybe make it like a fuel line with the pump always running and a return line with a pressure regulator then just have some sort of solenoid or electrical valve. I have way too much time on my hands don't I?? :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Viprklr said:
kpresa said:
I left my sprayer and reaimed it so I can shoot the windshield of people riding my ass. Works pretty good.
LMAO! I think I'll do this. Everyone out here in hicksville likes ass ridin'
Very Very Funny! :D
I want to do this also but I'm afraid I may be shot at by a real gun on the freeways here in LA.

·
Registered
181 Posts
OMG haha, making it spray ppl. I almost gurantee that some hick would rear end me in his ford or put some use to his gun rack. I think im gonna try that this weekend just for kicks though );)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't see why you don't remove the bumpers and get hollow ones they don't do much after 15mph and that's a good 60lbs lighter brakes that's a good 16lbs if you get good ones lighter wheels is a good 8lbs all the floor mats and carpeting behind the front seats is a good 24lbs the hatch and spare tire cover are like 26lbs light weight hood saves like 14lbs rear seats are like 24lbs.

60+16+8+24+26+14+24=172lbs or as if you were driving the car without you in it

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
My car is a quasi daily driver (when it's not broken):

no ac
no charcoal canitster
removed sound deadening
stripped rear interior
removed stock fuel tank and shield, replaced with fuel cell
13lb dynabat battery
no stereo
sparco racing buckets (soon as I actually pay for them...)
5 point harnesses, removed the stock rails
no spare (kept the jack and a tool kit, it's a good idea)
no front bumper support
TCE brakes (12.2" rotors are slightly lighter than stock, calipers are 7.4lbs lighter than stock, EACH!)

that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts