DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What really does the Econ button do? I don't have an auto so I don't have it but this kid is going around bragging on his turbo saying when he hits the button is kicks in. Why I think its an NT is because he knows nothing about his car and his gauge cluster doesn't have a boost gauge.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
45 Posts
well as far as i know it has NOTHING to do with the turbo.it has to do with the tranny.when the button is pressed in,the tranny is in power mode.as far as i can tell it just makes the tranny up shift a little later in part throttle,and maybe make it shift a little harder at WOT.im sure it plays with the downshifting too,but sitting here i dont quite remember how much and in what aspects.im sure theres someone here who knows a little more.hopefully this will get moved to the AUTO Forum,they will know.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i read somewhere that unless you are over 55+mph you should leave it in power mode and for highway driving you can put in in econ for a little better fuel mileage....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wait, so Econ is just the overdrive button??

·
Registered
764 Posts
overdrive = gear ratio less than 1

Nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
634 Posts
IceDevl said:
What really does the Econ button do? I don't have an auto so I don't have it but this kid is going around bragging on his turbo saying when he hits the button is kicks in. Why I think its an NT is because he knows nothing about his car and his gauge cluster doesn't have a boost gauge.

Thanks in advance!
This kid is just BS'in.

The Economy button is (like discussed before) for the highway use. A car's transmission takes its fair amount of abuse. Automatic Trannies go through hell every time you are on the highway and just cruising. Although you may think your car has no stress on it (because you're just cruising on the highway) the Automatic transmission is building up heat- lots of heat.
Do you ever notice how sometimes an automatic will not shift as crisp into gears after sitting at that light at the bottom of of an exit ramp after a good drive on the highway?

This is why a front mount tranny cooler is ideal for an Automatic Transmission especially (actually keeping ANY type of transmission is best since excessive heat will wear down those fragile transmission parts).

The ECONOMY button would be ideal for the highway since there is more heat building up- you don't want to put stress on the transmission so you'd have it set to ECONOMY for lighter shifting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts