DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found out my ECU caps are bad, I don't know how bad yet though. I have a 91 AWD, if I was to get another one, what ones are compatable? What years, do I need one from a AWD, eprom vs. non-eprom, etc.

·
Registered
871 Posts
why don't you just replace the caps yourself, it's very easy and cheap compared to a new or used ecu. there is even a vfaq on this at dsm.org. you can even order the caps from the link provided in the vfaq.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know how long the caps have been leaking so I may have damage to the board. I am taking it out soon to check. If it is just the caps I will get them replaced, if not I need a new ecu.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found a local shop to do it for $45-50, not too bad. The local junk yard wanted $3-500!!! Yea right!!

·
Registered
491 Posts
Is there really any difference between a FWD Turbo and AWD ECU from the same year?? I can't think of anything that would be different between the two as far as the computer is concerned.

I do know that 90 ECU's - regardless of drivetrain - should not be used for any later year models. 1990 DSM's seem to be the oddball in the DSM family, regardless of what you're talking about.

I have used a 92 Eclipse GSX ECU in my 93 Talon TSi AWD and had no problems whatsoever, so there should not be any variance between models, just years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts