DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oops i didn't know the 1G's ce light didn't come on--most cars do. and yes, he's right it will keep everything much cleaner. i won't do it, but that' just me (i also have a 2G)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I would just like to raise a question, is blocking off your egr valve a good idea? I ask this because, number 1, your gas mileage will suffer, and number 2, it can be a hassle for emissions testing. Isnt it true that egr works only under vacuum and at WOT, aka no vacuum, it is closed, therefore not hurting anything. So isnt it really better to just leave it the way it is?

-Dave

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
for one, if you block off the egr, you'll get a check engine light. if you can deal with that, that's up to you. for two, it shouldn't really help your performance all that much, maybe a very low hp gain. personally, i wouldn't do it b/c the egr actually helps prevent knock by lowering combustion chamber temps, because (i know this sounds strange) even the hot exhaust gas is cooler than the explosions in the chamber. hope this helps :cool:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
For a 1G, you will NOT get a CE light. I do not use any of the emissions control devices on my race car, and would not/did not when it was my daily driver. The amount of carbon and junk that the EGR puts into the intake system far outweighs any advantages it could have. I doubt any measurable power gain could be measured by removing the EGR.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Here's a little thing on emissions :)
My friend took his GSX last week for emissions test, He has no emission systems on his car, all removed including the EGR valve, ha has a EVO VI FMIC, Big16G, Walbro In-Tank, HRC o2 Eliminator, 3" cat back (normally with the test pipe) all he did was just put his old cat back into the car (a lot of mods to fit it with 3" system) and he passed !!! with "flying colors!" I couldn't believe that...

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
As far as emissions are concerned,
My stock cat went bad on me, meaning the honey comb stuff inside it fell apart and was blocking my exhast flow really badly. I took it out and smashed it out with a metal pipe. Now i have a hollow "dummy converter". I just did emissions with it like this and i added some Fuelon fuel additive and i past without any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Man!!! I gotta move out of California!!! Emissions here are f***** strict!!!!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jags95gs:
for one, if you block off the egr, you'll get a check engine light. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just want to confirm what others said, blocking the EGR on a 1G will NOT trip the Check Engine light. Don't know about a 2G.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>personally, i wouldn't do it b/c the egr actually helps prevent knock by lowering combustion chamber temps, because (i know this sounds strange) even the hot exhaust gas is cooler than the explosions in the chamber. hope this helps :cool:<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, this would be the case if the EGR gases were expelled directly into the combustion chamber *during* combustion, but they're not. The EGR gases (leftover exhaust) are directed into the intake manifold beforet the combustion chamber, diluting the cooler intake charge. Still, you will probably not notice any hp increase from this mod, however.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok just so i don't sound any worse, i'm going to straighten out what i said. :eek: i only heard that it prevents knock but i misunderstood what was said. the gm techbook says "egr feeds small amounts of exhaust gas back into the combustion chamber. With the air/fuel mixture diluted, combustion temperatures are reduced, therefore reducing NOx" see, that's where i messed up--knocks, NOx-- they sound the same. oops, my bad. sorry to all :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts