DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Autometer EGT with a weld on probe went to the muffler shop to get the probe welded on to the exhaust manifold and the guy told me his weld would not be strong enough to hold it on because of the temp anyone else have this same problem and how did you get around it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It could be true, but I can't see a muffler shop giving high quality welds and this is the problem. Open the yellow pages and take it to a experienced welder.

·
Registered
123 Posts
weld on probe? Just get a new probe that screws in. they are cheap enough. Will cost the same or less than having one welded in and you can do the install yourself.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
I just ordered an Autometer EGT, don't have it in my hands yet. My question is, can I expect this same problem? WTF...I assumed it would have a threaded fitting of some type...

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The probe does have a threaded fitting but it threads into a piece you have to weld on to the manifold I am going to try a couple of other muffler shops to see if they will weld the piece on.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,153 Posts
ya it needs to come with a threded fitting. maybee you can weld a bolt the same size as the sending unit to the manafold?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took the manifold over to a welding shop today found out that on a cast manifold you have to use nickel to weld the piece on so problem solved.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong here...
Couldn't you just drill a hole in the manifold and tap the hole for the threads?
Or...is the Autometer EGT sensor different? One of the gauges that RRE sells (Greddy, I think) mounts the sensor this way, but it is more expensive than the Autometer model.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have the GReddy EGT and I don't know what ya'll talking about welding for. The GReddy need a tapped manifold and the probe screwed in. No welding needed.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
123 Posts
The weld bung is for adding probes to a tube...like a tubular header. We use a cast manifold and don't need it. Just drill and tap a hole. Even if you had a header you could still place the probe pre-turbine in the turbine housing itself.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Now that makes sense! Thx
Although I have access to a welder and can lay a decent bead; I didn't think it was necessary. Drill and tap was planned.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD

1 - 11 of 11 Posts