DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fuel management is my next step of mods. I currently have 16G, FMIC, Brode UIP, fp re-wire, Walbro 255, 3" turbo back exhaust, but NO portwork (yet). Plan on getting 2G ex. man, 2g O2 housing, and turbo ported. I just recently installed Dejon Tool inlet and outlet compressor pipes. Helped a lot!!! I am thinking of getting Jumptronix meter while i wait for my EGT. I've heard it's ok to run both.

My question is, what does the A/F meter measure?? Does it do the same thing as Jumptronix?? I understand the Jumptronix measures voltage at 02 sensor and EGT measures temp. at ex. man. So, if I get one or the other, do i need an A/F meter?? Which combo or unit is best?? Plus I will be looking into 550's and SAFC this winter after i rebuild my tranny!! lol

Any help is appreciated.

Mike

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

·
Registered
871 Posts
i'd get the jumptronix meter and an egt gauge. the jumptronix will do the same thing as an air/fuel gauge but do it better(read the o2 sensor voltage). so no you don't need both, but definitly get the egt gauge. to properly tune a car you need both a egt and a o2 voltage reader.

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
217 Posts
IMHO I think a a/f meter is a waste or money. get a EGT. I did when I realized the a/f meter is not accurate.

------------------
'99 GST
http://www.geocities.com/mospeed9844
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Intercooler Piping
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
GReddy Boost and EGT Gauge
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter
Front and Rear Strut Bars

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mospeed:
IMHO I think a a/f meter is a waste or money. get a EGT. I did when I realized the a/f meter is not accurate.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

so how did you tune low and mid throttle then???

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
217 Posts
By the grace of god.... :)

I know they are used for that, but man even with the new calibrated autometer a/f there are about 5 leds lighted up at 3/4 thottle. Kinda hard to be accurate. :-/

BTW: Does the new Apex-i AFC have O2 readings???? Maybe that one is a bit more accurate. I don't want the ghetto looking jumptronix one.

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
871 Posts
thats why i recommended the jumptronix voltage readout.
yes the new afc can read o2 voltage, but it not in the instructions. it's called the "blue wire mod"...hook the blue wire from the afc(not used on the karmen system, is actually for the twin m.a.s skyline gtr) to the o2 line to the ecu. then go to etc, then sensor check and it will be the readout in the middle. that's what i use mine for...but i also got an air/fuel gauge, wait....so do you :D :D :D

bill

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
748 Posts
Hey MOSPEED, what did your autometer a/f gauge read at idle, cruising, and while shifting. Mine reads lean 75% of the time. Is that normal? Is WOT supposed to read rich?

·
Registered
217 Posts
At idle, all over the place, it doesn't ,mean anything.

At crusing, all over the place.

I did the a/f reclaibration. Look at the instructions frome autometer. each led is .1!!! WE are not suppose to see under .86V and .96 is rich. (CORRECT EVERTONE???)

That means from 1 led down from the LAST one means you are running lean. :-/ Not to accurate huh???

http://www.gadgetseller.com/gauges/

he calibrates it so that each led is .01 and starts at .80 to 1V.

Now at WOT, it seems to be more accurate. At 15psi it lights up 2green leds and 1 stoich (yellow) one. and at 10psi, lights up 4 green ones.

I trust it a bit more now, but I like my EGT more.

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
43 Posts
Quick fact:: The 2 fastest DSMs in the world dont use EGT gauges. Hmmmm.

mospeed-
yes all over the place does mean something, it means it's cycling which means your at the correct a/f ratio (idle and cruising only).

------------------
Tony
95 GSX
96 TSI
90 GST
old ride
\/

·
Registered
871 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by overboosted:
Quick fact:: The 2 fastest DSMs in the world dont use EGT gauges. Hmmmm.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

yeah they are using haltech's, so therefore the air/fuel is user programmed and not controlled by the ecu which reads other sensors and makes emissions freindly decisions also i'm sure brent and sean know what's lean and not lean on a dsm without having to check thier air/fuel or egts(also have a dyno for thier personal use). i think for a street car it's different, you need an egt and some type of voltage readout from the o2 sensor.

------------------
95 tsi-awd
91 tsi-fwd
95 civic turbo
82 gti

·
Registered
83 Posts
If I had to choose one or the other at first, I'd buy Mike's calibrated Autometer Gauge. I know him and it's a sweet set-up. But for tuning purposes I'd go with some sort of voltage monitor first, but definitely plan on getting an EGT in the future.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The Autometer has a different style than the other air/fuel gauges. It uses 20 LEDs (0.05 volts/segment) in a circular sweep around the outside of the gauge. As with the Intellitronix, the LEDs are colored red, yellow and green, but only one LED lights at a time. I use mine in conjunction w/ the "blue wire mod" on my AFC and it works great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Why use an EGT? Because under certain conditions, you can have a perfectly rich A/F ratio and be melting your pistons anyway. A lean condition is only one of a few different causes for pre-detonation. A/F gauge is a useful tool but it only gives you half the picture.

------------------
Shawn B.
95 Talon TSi AWD

·
Registered
418 Posts
I run the Autometer Phantom A/F guage..
It all over the place at idle and while cruising..
At WOT it only lights up one light at a time.
Not 4 or five others had said?
You can see it go stoich. to lean or rich for that matter.
one light at a time..has anyone else had that?
Even at 18psi it still reads rich on the stock fuel pump. Will it start to lean out if the stock fuel pump cant handle the high of boost?
Kid-tsi

·
Registered
217 Posts
If you are reading in the stoich LED's then you are running EXTREMELY lean since the yellow lights are 250mV to 750mv (.25V-.75V). With the autometer you should not be passed the fourth (.85V) in the green (rich) region. When I went WOT before I had it recailbrated I would be at the third and fourth LED at 15psi. So becareful, just becuase autometers cool looking green lights say you are running rich, doesn't mean you aren't seriously running lean.

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mospeed..
How do I get the autometer A/F recailbrated?
If this is true this guage is not worth Sh!t
Help me I can't afford to fix a melted pistion...How do I check for the voltage the meter is running..?
kid-tsi

[This message has been edited by kid-tsi (edited October 18, 2000).]

·
Registered
217 Posts
yeah him, got it back in 4 days and I live in TX and he is in Ohio (I think). Now that is service!

------------------
'99 GST
Akimoto Air Fitler
GReddy BOV
GReddy Cat-Back
GReddy Profec B
Autometer Air/Fuel Meter

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all. This is Mike. I make the recalibrated A/F gauges. I've been using mine for about 6 months now and love it. It's so nice to be able to verify your O2 voltage every single time you step on the gas. With the recalibrated gauge you get .01V resolution. You will actually be able to see your O2 voltage at full throttle changing as the sensor heats up. The important thing is that you can find where your car runs the best and tune it to that same point easily. For example, I changed my injectors a few days ago and it took about 5 minutes of driving to get my car tuned back where it was with the old injectors. They are excellent gauges in my opinion.
Thanks for the space.
Mike Koraido www.gadgetseller.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts