DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What exhaust temps should I be looking for and in what rpm ranges?
I just put in my egt gauge today (I've had it for a month,) and would like to know what are considered good and bad temps.
i.e. idle temp, cruising temp, wot temp.
Details if they matter are; 1gen, 14b, 16 psi at wot, 2.5" dp and cat, 3" cat-back.

------------------
Rocky Mountain
'91 Talon Tsi AWD - modified
Live, Learn, Love and Bleed DSM...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just make sure you stay lower than 1600 - 1650 degrees at all times. Thats when stuff starts melting. other than that, i don't know. dont have one YET.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I researched dsm.org and found out this:
1000F - idle
1350F - cruising
1600F max - wot
So, I took her for a cruise this a.m. and I was running 1450-1500F at cruising (3500rpm), now is this good? Any ideas? It would go up to about 1550 at wot. I didn't think 1500 cruising was too good, so today I rewired the fuel pump. We'll see...I also installed my DB uic pipe.

------------------
Rocky Mountain

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to get off subject, but the addition of my DB uic pipe has introduced me, quite rudely might I add, to that phenom known as FUEL CUT...I'm pretty sure this was indeed "the cut!" As I hit 16psi, the frigging car nearly stopped, it totally caught me off guard and tried to throw me into the steering wheel. Quickly letting off the gas solved the problem, as I said, "shi*!" So, any suggestions on what to do first to solve this reliably?

------------------
Rocky Mountain

·
Registered
729 Posts
I had my mas modified by boosted performance for $150. No fuelcut till like 25psi, i think. I'v hit 22 psi with no problems. I like mine and would recommend it. It will definetly out flow an unmodified mas

You could also go with the al blaha or get an afc and cut up your mas

·
Registered
729 Posts
van. what do you have for exhust including any portwork from the manifold back?

Restricted exhuast flow will raise your egts

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2.5" dp, 2.5" cat, 3" cat-back that's it for exhaust so far... I did the fuel pump rewire to see if the egt's will come down a little. I will know tomorrow a.m.
Also, tomorrow I'm gonna see if it will cut at, hopefully, higher temps in the afternoon. My aircan is hacked with a 3" ram air into it.
So, I'm assuming that boosted performance changes a resistor or something in there?

------------------
Rocky Mountain modified Talon
http://sites.netscape.net/vvanover/homepage

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 16, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Van (edited October 16, 2000).]

·
Registered
729 Posts
supposedly there is an e-prom chip in the mas that they reprogram. I've taken my mas apart and looked and there are some chips in there, so i guess you just need the right computer program and hook-up to do it.

Oh yah, speaking of e-proms, if you have an eprom ecu you could get that reprogrammed by technomotive to rmove fuelcut and get some other goodies for $200.

I know for sure that the mas can out flow a non modified mas, cause there is a lot that gets cut out of it.

·
Registered
729 Posts
by the way, how did you do your ram air?
i think thats gonna be one of my next mods since it seems inexepensive.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK,
Fuel pump rewire did help egt's. Especially at 3000rpm flat land cruising...
I'm down to 1400F, now.
But, 50% of my cruising is all uphill at 3500 or so rpms, DOH! this would lead to higher egts. But, they were better after rewire. I'm at 1450-1500F, depending where I'm at on the throttle.
gsxalex - ram air mod: 3" black pvc pipe from bottom of air can w/3" hole to just below the frame. 90 degree 3" elbow sits just below frame. I used plumbers tape w/tek screws to support it.

------------------

·
Registered
729 Posts
ok thanks.
Are you happy with the setup?

I'm thinking about doing something that involves a bit more cutting.
Unfortunatly i plan on keeping a sidemount ic (an upgraded one sooner or later) so i cant cut the fenderwell where its an ideal ram-air, because i don't want to take any flow from the ic.

But this is your topic, and im off the subject, so i'll shut up now.

I'm supprised noone else has posted about your egts yet. sorry i couldn't be more helpful.

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks gsxalex, I do like the set-up...it is what it is, it was cheap, and works great!
Actually, you answered the question with what temp. most people worry about...wot. Then when I posted what I found at dsm.org I think that pretty much covered it for everybody, no problem. I will start a new topic if this fuel cut thing isn't really a loose connection or something...

------------------

My DSM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts