DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just put the eibach sportlines on my 97 eclipse GST, they are a 1.8 drop all around, anyways, i had them on for not even 15 minutes (of ass raping on some seriously curvy roads =) , way better than stock suspension haha) anyways, on my way to my house i started hearing like a poping sound or a clanking sound, in the front right of the car and the rear right, i pulled off the front tire and checked to make sure everything was tight, and also checked the rear strut as well, i checked the 3 bolts on the front top of the strut and the 2 bolts on the top of the rear strut, i've hear when you first put springs on they must settle and seat themselves and the sound will go away but i'm still VERY worried about it, i wanna go to brandenton to run the 1/4 tonight but i dunno if its safe to with the suspension please please offer any info or suggestions

AND YES! i did cut the bump stops in the front to the proper length , so thats not the prob
please help me i'm grateful to all

::MODS LIST::

ApexI - N1 exhaust
ApexI - N1 DP
Injen - Intake
Greddy - large front mount
Greddy - lower and upper IC pipe kits
Greddy - Type S BOV
Greddy - Turbo Timer
Fiber Images Carbon Fiber Hood
Nitto NT450's on the front (just cause of the rain in tampa)
BCS restrictor removed
Eibach Sportlines

·
Registered
129 Posts
New struts?

You didn't mention whether or not you replaced the struts, or if you already had some sort of aftermarket strut. From your description, it doesn't sound like a blown strut, but stranger things have happened.

Do the strut test at each corner of the car - push down hard on each corner of the car to compress the strut and see how many rebounds you get. 1 is preferred, 2 is OK, and any more than that mean that the strut is worn out. Remember, though worn out struts and blown struts are different animals entirely. With a blown strut, it doesn't really have any compression or rebound dampening left - the car will just bounce and bounce.

Also, check your sway bar end links - If they are all bound up, they may be hitting another suspension piece.

When I did my springs the first time (Eibach Pro Kits), there was no noise during the settling process. The car did drop a little bit (less than .25 inch), but no creaking/popping/cracking.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I can honestly say that you will know if you blew a strut..... Had that happen not to longago. Any time you hit a bump on the highway, it will fell like the tire just goes *boing* and the steering is not like it should be for a second or two(talk about scary going around curvs...). In addition, it blew hydrolic fluid all over under my wheel well. Put some new KYB's on, and fixed it like a charm.

As far as settleing...... I've done a few sets of springs with local DSM'ers.... The ONLY time I've ever heard a pop/creak was when the spring was not proprerly seated on the Strut. You should have noticed that the landing on the strut is curved to the shape of the spring's end. If say you did not put the spring seated properly(stupidity or moved while tighting bolts), when You hit a bump the spring will "seat" itself to the proper place. Might or Might not be what you heard, but it's just a thought.

·
Registered
41 Posts
u did use allof your spring isolators and dampers from the stock springs right? if not theres your prob. if so then maybe one fell out of place. also did u have a camber kit installed? those bolts need to be retightened after like 100 miles of driving.

·
Registered
374 Posts
my passenger side strut started cluinking and it turned out to be the strut tower bolt. not one of the three on the outside but the one under the dust cover. check that one and see if that doesn't help.
good luck.

·
Registered
229 Posts
do u have any pics of ur car with the sport lines installed? i have them sitting in my garage with kyb agx shocks but i dont no if i wanna put them on. i wanna see how it looks first

·
Registered
456 Posts
unkachabull said:
do u have any pics of ur car with the sport lines installed? i have them sitting in my garage with kyb agx shocks but i dont no if i wanna put them on. i wanna see how it looks first
Look at my gallery. I'm using sportlines w/ koni yellows. They're old pics I haven't put new pics on with the stock chromies. :burnout:

As for the orginal post. Do you have aftermarket struts to go along with the huge drop of the sportlines?

·
Registered
229 Posts
ssdeklipse said:
Look at my gallery. I'm using sportlines w/ koni yellows. They're old pics I haven't put new pics on with the stock chromies. :burnout:

As for the orginal post. Do you have aftermarket struts to go along with the huge drop of the sportlines?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hey thread revival but i just install my sportlines/agx combo. It is the best ever ride quality is amazing and ya it did drop a lot but its still high enough to clear everything around here. But i have a problem. When i was installing them in the rear the spring wouldnt match up with the mount on top of it... It is like the spring is too long and it wouldnt sit properly i dont no if any of you had that problem if anyone knows what im talking about. It doesnt make a noise when driving but im just curious as to how many people have or had this problem.

·
Registered
612 Posts
This thread was supposed to be closed out of respect for the OP. As you can see, he installed Sportlines and then went out driving like an idiot, plus some 1/4-mile runs, without getting an alignment. The massive amount of rear toe-out that he gained when swapping in the Sportlines caused him to lose control and be killed. Even if you don't have respect for the OP, show some for Mr. Darwin and let this thread die. Thanks.

- Jtoby

1 - 12 of 12 Posts