DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after researching this and not finding anything (unless I looked under the wrong keywords) I thought I'd throw this out for some help:

This has happened on two occasions now. I'll be accellerating from a stop, shift into second and midway through the gear the RPMs will drop to zero. The engine and all accessories are still on and running but even if I floor the accellorator the car still coasts and continues to slow down. If I let off the gas pedal and coast a bit, the car will gain power again and the rpms go back to normal. There is no check engine light or anything else that happens that lets me know what to look at.

Reading similar problems, I think I'm going to replace the ecu (i have a spare) and perhaps the injectors. Also thinking of replacing the tranny fluid. Is there anything else I could look into?

Car is a 91 awd talon, 125k miles. Mods worth mentioning:

16g --> small (came in car)
no boost controller now, running on stock boost until I swap in the walbro
buschur upper intercooler pipe
That's about it.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Check and replace the ECU capacitors. You should also check the connectors that go to the injectors. Sometimes they get too corroded and cause problmes like the one you're talking about...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Blackboost. I'll take a look at the ECU this weekend; I've been meaning to pull it anyway to see if it's eprom and to hook up the afc and turbo timer.

I'll post the results back here if I find anything.

·
Elite DSMtalker
1,495 Posts
Yeah, as James said, I suspect the caps on the ecu. You can check the injector connections, but that wouldnt explain your tach dropping to 0. Sounds like the ecu is on its way out. :(

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the event of it being a problem with the ecu, and in the event that my old ecu is, in fact, an eprom ecu, will replacing the caps resolve the problem? (assuming no damage from leaking caps to the board or other circuits)?

-Scott

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
RochNY91TSI said:
In the event of it being a problem with the ecu, and in the event that my old ecu is, in fact, an eprom ecu, will replacing the caps resolve the problem? (assuming no damage from leaking caps to the board or other circuits)?

-Scott
You will not know until you try it out. But it's something that every 1G DSMer should do for their ECU...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I pulled the old ecu out. It smelled fine but on bending the caps up slightly to look underneath, there was a light goo under them leading me to believe they were leaking ever so slightly. Guess it's good I took the ecu out.

At any rate, I put in my spare and it seems like the car is running better.

Thanks for all the help; now it's time to datalog some more :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts