DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well i recent acheived 2 things with my DSM, 1. to hit 111,000 miles and 2. to lose #4 cylinder. Cylinders 1,2,&3 are at 160PSI but cylinder #4 is at 62psi. Now is there anything that would cause #4 to be so drasticly f*cked? Why would that 1 cyl be so bad? is this common?

Also i obviously have to rebuild the thing. Its an auto so i can't go to hi-po but should i put in higher compression pistons or any high performance bottem end stuff in? the only thing i plan on doing is throwing a big16 or a 20g on it with 550 injectors, 255 walbro, SSQ bov, and my apex boost controller.

Any suggestions to how to build the beast or any ideas what did it in would be great

·
Registered
51 Posts
ok first of all it could be something simple like a headgasket. or it could be rings/pistons etc. i'd check the headgasket first..check your antifreeze level and oil..is there oil in your antifreeze or vice-versa? also ..leave your radiator cap off and turn on the car.. does antifreeze bubble out? those are all signs of a bad headgasket. next...don't put higher compression pistons in there, the reason they're lower than an n/t is because of the higher compression along with boost it puts extra strain on all of your internals. good luck

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well my mechanic and I kinda ruled out the head gasket theory several way already. We did a leakdown and had air seeping into the crackcase. also tried the ways you suggested and also the car has been blowing oil out of the oil cap and shooting the dipstick out. sure people say to hose clamp it....but thats what i call a cobble-job. There should never be enough psi to push it out anyway. But thanks for the tips, its good to see people give suggestions and ideas in a polite manner

:D

·
Registered
838 Posts
my guess would be rings then.
if it was a valve it wouldnt push the dipstick out. check the fuel injector on that cyl to make sure it's not clogged, cause maybe that cylinder ran lean and detonation/knock/whatever melted the piston somewhat. It's hard to say without seeing the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sounds like u burnt a pistion, or broke a ring or both. do what destrux said and check the injectors. I just had to do a engine over in a 90 gst that was completely stock but burned (and i mean burned) a pistion. We found that the injector was bad on #1 cyl. Didn't have a miss so we think that it was spraying but not enough and leaned out. I hate when that happens.......dont want to build a motor and have to do it again over something stupid!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well thats makes after i remebered my dual carb bike doing that its a good thing i'm upgrading the injectors. I think i'll be changing injectors every 50k miles now. Thanks for all the input. well i'm waiting till we crack that thing open then i'll have a nice melted paper weight.

:rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts