DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. I got 1990 Talon TSi FWD 5spd. without the engine. Last night I found a 1992 Talon TSi FWD automatic. Will the engine from automatic work with 5spd. ECU? Any connectors on the engine that I'll have to modify to fit in 1990 body? Sorry if it seems stupid or simple but I'm just getting into turbo stuff now.

------------------
Dan Kononczuk
NJDSM Club
http://members.tripod.com/dkononczuk/index.htm

·
Registered
701 Posts
Im pretty sure the engine swap would work easily. You would just have to put your flywheel onto the new engine, or, if you dont have one, get one. The motor mounts are the same. It will fit with no problems.

-Dave

·
Registered
350 Posts
ok I just did it from my 91 AT(same through 94) to my 5spd 90 TSi. First off... Motor differences, Cams,injectors,fuel pressure reg. fuel rail,and turbo . just take it all from the 5spd engine including the fuel rail the 91+ wont fit on a 90 motor because of the throttle body. Now you have to take the the Throttle body from your 90 engine the cam sensor and the coil packs they all bolt right up so it is no real problem but they all have the conectors you need to put it back in the 90. And then just drop it in. plus the front motor mount changes on the two motors the AT mount blocks the clutch slave from going on. Also teh basics like teh fly wheel, you might notice on the AT block it has a pin for the flywheel and your 5spd wheel doesnt I just cut it off with a grinder so i could put it on. Any thing else just mail me.

------------------

·
Registered
123 Posts
Longblocks are basically all the same from year to year. The differences are in the sensors/harnesses and those are swappable. Just use your old ones. Auto injectors are not for use in manual cars, they are smaller. FWD/AWD flywheels are also different. no big deal. Cams are also different. Also no big deal. As far as blocks bolting in 90-94 will all interchange regardless of their internal differences.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info. I'll be picking up the motor on the 16th. of september, and I was wondering if there is somebody in the Union, NJ area that would stop by and help with the install. If someone has some time please e-mail me directly at: [email protected]
I just don't have enough experience and I wouldn't want to damage something.
Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts