DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to upgrade to a full Garret GT35R Turbo so was shopping for a reliable cast manifold that would accomodate a GT Turbine housing with TO4S-sized compressor without hitting the block, not needing spacers, require water pipe denting or other "mods" to fit.

Note I did look into the venerable Turbonetics T3, though from my reasearch have found it to be poorly designed w.r.t. port inlet/outlet requiring significant porting to match the stock gaskets, spacers for non-5bolt housings to clear the block, the wastegate mount position only pulls from one runner and more times than not will hit the hood. No thanks :rolleyes:

I then saw mention on another forum of the ERL Manifold which is Cast Stainless Steel with a centralized wastegate port and, after finding another DSMer having had great sucess with it, decided to give it a try :)

Note that the 4G63 ERL Manifold can be ordered flanged for any of the following: Misibishi, T3 or T4. I'm only reviewing the T3 version which is what I have.

On to my review.

The manifold came well packaged and looked as nice as it did in the pictures. Surface has a satin finish with no noticable casting flash on any of the surfaces (inside/out). Both the inlet and collector surfaces were machined perfectly flat and the ports matched up perfectly with my new T3 Outlet and Mitsu Exhaust gaskets. The only "fabrication" I had to do is cut the wastegate tube to size and weld on the flange of choice. I used a Tial44 and had to cut the tube down pretty close to the support and even then had to trim ~1/8" off the top engine mount/lift bracket (took 20secs with a dremmel and a sanding roll).

With it mounted on the car I noticed that the runners are purposefully longer than the Misubishi Manifold with the outlet angled slightly which gave me a ton of clearance btw my GT3582R and the waterpipe/block :D

The following pics show other clearances:

Front - Plenty of room for a slim fan

Top - Plenty of clearance for the wastegate

Outlet - Look at all the daylight :) Enough room for a real 3" downpipe!!!

DONE!!! :D

My overall impressions of the ERL T3 Manifold for the 4G63:

Quality: Excellent
- ports/bolt holes matched the gasket with none of the BS porting most other cast manifolds (Turbonetics, SBR..etc) require.
- no noticable casting flash inside the runners, collector or WG tube
- both flanges were 100% flat and stud threads properly chased
- finish did not discolor after repeated cycling

Design: Excellent
- one-piece cast stainless design which (unlike cast iron/tubulars) should last a lifetime without cracking (ERL tests them by heating to 1800F and dropping into cold water :eek:). ERL does give a 5+ year warranty and is a large established company that should be around to honor it if needed
- Stainless absorbs less heat than cast so stays cooler
- compact purposeful design that pushes/angles the turbo away from the block allowing for a large compressor cover (I have the Garrett SP) and a GT turbine housing without spacers or "denting" of water pipes.
- lightweight design: 10lbs vs 17lbs for OEM Cast Manifold
- wastegate port centralized (e.g. pulls from all 4 runners) to keep backpressure equal accross all runners (better performance) and to ensure that maximum boost control is achieved. I ran as low as 15psi on my GT35R with ZERO boost creep.
- wastegate port positioning allowed much simpler routing of dump tubo, O2 housing and did not interfear with PS pump / alternator (although I relocated mine as wanted to clean up the area, I could have retained it easily).
- wastegate to hood clearance is good so no hacking of hood required with even a Tial44 (unlike Turbonetics).

Performance: TBA
I've yet to get this new setup fully dialed in or hit the track/dyno but my preliminary appraisal is that boost control at 15, 17 and 19psi was excellent and although many other factors are invloved, spoolup was right where I expected it (20psi by 4700 in 3rd) and no boost creep even down to 15psi.

Value: Excellent
This piece retails for $549 and can be had for a $499 (ask me nice and I may tell ;) ) which is IMO a pretty good deal for a piece that fits, well-engineered, will last nad has a decent warranty. Any oh yea, it looks friggen cool :cool:

·
Registered
547 Posts
To add to the above review, I'm running the ERL manifold with a Borg Warner S258. The compressor housing is a bit larger than a T04S and I still clear the block, waterpipe, and fans fine. The gate clears the stock hood without any trimming. I just got the car driving today so performance reviews will have to wait but the installation was very straightforward. Here are some pics:

LINK

·
Registered
263 Posts
Where is this manifold available. Any link?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DSM_Aruba said:
Where is this manifold available. Any link?
With Nuke's approval, I listed a GB up in the Classifieds for this product that the shop I got mine from is offering.

Note that I'm not selling these nor am I affilated with the seller other than he let me try it out on a contingency basis to make sure it would fit my setup since there was not alot of info out there at the time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
First off; well done review! I have the Turbonetics cast T3 manifold and you are correct, it is a little more then a bolt on: for a lack of better description it is poorly designed and needs modification to be setup correctly, but for a long while it was the only design out there. The ERL manifold looks like a nice piece. I wish this was available when I was building up my car.

Mike

·
Registered
657 Posts
I'm curious as to what the collector looks like. Is there a link we could check out for more pics? Also, how much room would you say there is between the rad and the comp housing?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
centxdsm said:
I'm curious as to what the collector looks like. Is there a link we could check out for more pics?
I've attached two pics I got from the Vendor. The second shows the collector. Note that it's not as "defined" as say the FP since there is a central wastegate port which needs to be fed equally by all four runners so was purposefully designed the way it is.

Also, how much room would you say there is between the rad and the comp housing?
The rad is angled slightly so if the comp housing is clocked exactly perpendicular to the ground (like mine) then 3" at the top and 2.5" just before it flares out at the outlet. I've a P/S Derale fan in there now with plenty of clearance.

Attachments

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used a -10AN drain adapter and straight Aeromotive Pushlock connector/hose (from Extreme PSI) and have ~1" side clearance from the stock front motor mount. A 45Deg Fitting would give you even more.

·
Registered
547 Posts
JL_90AWD said:
I used a -10AN drain adapter and straight Aeromotive Pushlock connector/hose (from Extreme PSI) and have ~1" side clearance from the stock front motor mount. A 45Deg Fitting would give you even more.
I'm using the same oil return with a 45 deg. fitting and I had to trim the mount about 1/4". The difference is John runs a Garrett GT cartridge which places the center section a bit closer to the turbine housing.

·
Banned
30 Posts
Not sure about a 2G, but for those out there... this manifold will not fit on a 3G... we just had someone test it and and it won't fit. So i have a T3 flanged in-stock ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
Boosted98gsx said:
Looks like a Borg. Could you clarify on your setup a little?
As I mentioned in my previous post, it's a BW S258. It's in the .70 T3 housing. Mods are FP2s, 3", 2600, 255, 950s, FPR, DSMlink, 2G MAF, and FMIC. Bone stock engine down to the head bolts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Steve93Talon said:
As I mentioned in my previous post, it's a BW S258. It's in the .70 T3 housing. Mods are FP2s, 3", 2600, 255, 950s, FPR, DSMlink, 2G MAF, and FMIC. Bone stock engine down to the head bolts.
Nice numbers.

What psi? How's the clearance between the compressor housing and the manifold?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts