DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my following mods below...can anyone estimate my 1/4? I've never taken it to the track yet. I'm running 16#'s of boost with the stock turbo and lets say the conditions outside is about 80 to 85 degrees. I'm curious because someone posted there FWD with basically the same mods (his has a downpipe I think - mine doesn't) is only running 15.0 in the quarter mile! That can't be right! I know my car is faster than that..please guys....make me feel better...

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
He should have been running about 15.0 stock. The trap speed MPH is usually a better indicator of overall power. ET is very dependent on the driver, your launch/60' time and shifting will have a large effect on your ET. I have totally blown launches by bogging and pulling a 2.8 60' in my AWD, but still ran nearly the same MPH as a normal launch. Giving a weird time like [email protected]

·
Registered
491 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lee:
i have run a 14.2 with just a catback and airfilter, no other mods what so ever. on a 96 GST<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, that's an excellent time for so few mods. :)

A well-driven 2G can hit sub-15's *stock*, so whoever it was that had modded their car and was running 15's still probably has some driving and/or tuning issues to work out. Remember, the exact same car can be made to run waaaaayyyy different times, depending on the skill of the driver, especially on a FWD. Launch is key!

Also, each car is different, and responds to mods differently. For example, one of the cars on Extreme's site claims to have run a 12.8 1/4 mile with a catback, K&N, and MBC ONLY!!! I have reservations about claims like that, but I'm just trying to prove a point - your car is likely going to run different times than the guy next to you with the exact same mods, depending on mileage, car's condition, the weather, the track, driver skill, etc., etc. All this makes it really hard for others to guesstimate what times you'll pull. Best bet is to go to the track and find out for yourself.

------------------
-------------
1993 Forest Talon AWD - modified

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess what I'm trying to get at is IT should be better than 15.0 right? I know how to drive and launch my car. My car only has 30,000 on it and I keep it tuned all the time. With the right conditions and the right launch, my car should be alot faster than 15.0 on the quarter mile. I think I'm just a little paranoid. 15.0 is so inconceivable for me given the mods that have been done. Thanks for all your inputs..

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST
Mods: 3" Thermal R&D, Greddy TypeS bov, dump tube removal, MBC, Sprint Lowering springs, strut bars, Autometer gauges, HKS timer, custom interior, 17" performance rims

[This message has been edited by spltscnd98gst (edited September 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
200 Posts
Sorry about this long post. About the car that ran a 15.0 i was that driver(Frank). Yeh I have a MBC, air filter, downpipe, no cat , 3in ATR exhaust, 17psi,upper i/c piping w/BOV. My problem is i cant lauch my FWD. I was used to my older car 91AWD Eclipse which i didnt have problems in launching but in this it is very different. i tried applying some techniques that i used to use in the awd and obivously they didnt work. I know that i can run way faster than that but until i become a better driver with my GST i wont make any faster passes. I guess im not a good fwd driver yet but i will learn and your right you can run faster so dont feel discouraged because, i dont. I think i might run better if i turn the boost down a bit and dont shift to slow, and also if i dont shift at 7200.(ive learned that im am not supposed to be shifting that high) Also it is around 100+ out here in Houston, Tx and maybe that had a little to do with it. And i'm running some sh!ty tires. if anyone can help me in launching my FWD please Email me [email protected] or give me advise on how to make faster passes please let me know.

R/T .521
60' 2.372
330 6.429
1/8 9.779
MPH 76.46
1000 12.607
1/4 15.015
MPH 92.03

[This message has been edited by Frank (edited September 20, 2000).]

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Frank! I feel alot better. I've never had the luxury of driving an AWD so I'm use to driving a FWD. Don't worry....practice makes perfect (almost anyway). Good luck!

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Registered
200 Posts
thanks. And trust me next time i go to the track i will be in the 14's or high 13's. But im upgrading to big 16g with fuel pump next week since my t25 blew on 17psi in 100+ degrees heat(not a really smart move ive learned)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Running with your stock IC in 100*F in Houston will really hurt your trap speeds. I also live in Houston, and I don't waste the time going to the track during the summer.

As for Ray, with your GST, do you have an upper i/c pipe yet? That will help tons. With that and good launch in good weather.. I would see mid 14s (at least) in your future.

And I dunno, it could just be me, since I'm a wimp... but I would get a fuel pump if you're gonna run 16psi with that t25. Of course, that's just my opinion.

As always, your mileage will vary.

Jack
98GST

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jack, I just ordered my Greddy IC piping kit on Monday and I'm waiting for it to arrive. Man..it sucks that I have to wait a week! As far as the fuel pump goes, I don't know or have the technical knowledge about them yet. I've been researching it a little bit and my main concern is the installation. But again, I need to know more about it before I go that direction. What mods do you have and have you gone that route yet? Thanks man.

------------------
Ray
1998 Eclipse GST

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a 98GST too, and heres my list..

K&N*
Joe P. MBC @ 17psi
BOV dump tube removed*
UIC pipe w/ 1g BOV*
BR 2.5" downpipe
BR 2.5" cat
BR 3" cat-back*
Denso fuel pump
RRE front strut brace

The ones with a * by them are what I had when I ran a 14.7 @ 97mph with a LOUSY 60' - 2.489. I was running my Hallman MBC @ 13psi.

I have yet to go back to the track since with my new toys.

The Denso FP is great, the sound is barely louder than the stock pump. And compared to a friend's Walbro in his 1g, its a LOT quieter.

But bad news, I can't help you with the install. As I didn't install it, a friend's shop did, with a discount. You could probably blame that on my laziness though =D

Sorry bout that, but www.vfaq.com will have your answer on the install procedure.

Good luck!

Jack
98GST

·
Registered
157 Posts
A 14.2 with only cat-back and a filter?? I don't believe it. How is that going to take off 1 full second off stock time?? Nah. Here's a list of my mods:

90 Laser Turbo FWD
16G
FMIC
K&N filter
NGK plugs
ACT 2600
Hallman MBC set at 15psi
2.5" dp, 3" hi-flo cat, 3" cat-back system

I can run 14.2 all day long. My best is [email protected] with 2.161 0-60'. I average about 2.3 0-60' but have pulled lots of 2.2's with some super el cheapo tires on the front. I would like to see the complete timeslip for the guy that ran 14.2 with ONLY catback and airfilter. I could almost believe it on an AWD, but FWD??? I'm not buying that until i see it. Sorry, but i've done enough racing to know what can run what. I'm not saying my car is running good or bad, just that I know what a DSM can do with certain mods. If anyone can refute this or prove me wrong, please do. No flames, just good honest proof. I'll admit when i'm wrong, but I also know enough about the game to play well.

Mike
90 Laser Turbo FWD

------------------
"Usually when you go for broke, you get there."
"It's hard to go home a winner if you never go home."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts