DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What differences are those of us experiencing with a shift kit mod and maybe end clutch, ET wise, dont tell me it shifts harder and firmer, yeah yeah - we all know that... but whats your new ET ?

·
Honorary Moderator
1,110 Posts
Like everything, the new ET and the ET difference will depend on the whole setup of the car, not just one mod. The shift kit will help speed up shifts and strengthen the tranny. It doesn't really matter how much it lowers ET, it is a necessary transmission modification to make sure the tranny can handle the power.

Anyway, just for a very bad example, I ran a 13.1 @ 102 on big 16G, FMIC, stock tranny, stock 450cc injectors, and pump gas. I went back with the shift kit, 660cc injectors and with 110 octane race gas and ran a 12.37 @ 109. More boost and other mods were involved, but the quick shifting of the tranny helped a lot as well.

As I said, get the shift kit and end clutch kit. The shift kit will help in performance and durability. Also, the end clutch kit will help in durability in 4th gear (that is what is replaced since the stock end clutches wear quickly under heat).

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Personally, I saw only .2 faster ET's after the shift kit (red spring)

Of course, I also only saw another .5 better after adding a big 16 and fmic. Damn Jon, 13.1 was good for stock injectors and tranny. Did you use an AFC or anything else?

Phil

·
Honorary Moderator
1,110 Posts
tsiawdat said:
Damn Jon, 13.1 was good for stock injectors and tranny. Did you use an AFC or anything else?
Yeah, I had the S-AFC. However, the car wasn't in the best state of tune as I had no pocketlogger and was still learning to tune at the time (the MPH is a bit lower than it should've been). I was running 18-19psi and probably running it a bit on the lean side (something I avoid nowadays).

Jon

·
Registered
170 Posts
hi I don't mean to be an ass.lol it's just i've seen this question time after time. HOW MUCH TIME DIFFERENCE? In my opinion from remembering the stock tranny to the tranny with both kits (black spring) there is no comparison. I have had plenty of success with the modified tranny against manual cars. The kit makes a difference and for only $150 plus what 3 days of work slowly after you come home from work or maybe a few hours straight on a weekend. The mod is worth it. If you drive your car now then a friends with the kit you'll kick yourself. I'm trying to get to the track tonight for my first run. I know I don't have a stock number but if i make it tonight i'll tell ya the modified. For the money i think it is worth it. But then a full UIC and 1g BOV makes a hell of a difference too. It just depends on what you want.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well actually, all of the explanations helped a lot. Okay.. I'll be modding it ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah when I looked into mods for the auto's I never cared about how much faster it makes my car. In reality it cannot make a huge difference and if you have at least a 13 second car people in that situation understand my point. We want our tranny to handle the power. We just plain and simple do not want it to break. That is the key. If it sheads or adds a quarter of a second who cares. You'd rather have a working tranny and add a bigger turbo to shed time off the quarter. A high stall torque converter is going to shed some time

·
Registered
170 Posts
OK first time back from the track.....kinda ugly. My first run ever was a 17.2 ouch huh.... i ran 13 times through the night finially getting my best at 15.060.

97 Talon TSi FWD , T25 at 15psi full upper ic hard pipe, muffler, gutted cat, k/n, headlight removed, system removed, and translab shift kit with black spring

THe track was pretty slick i didn't feel to bad when i met up with a 95 Talon Tsi-AWD twice and he only had me by .4 His best was 14.9 i believe. Basically the same mods. Now compared to others with my mods i ran slow and so did the other talon. Was the track too slick or was it us?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
i hear sea level has something to do with it... than again i'm just a rookie - been to the drag only once (to race that is). But look at my time.... pretty similar to yours, tho I had an amazing R/T :)

My fuel filter needs to be changed badly tho, I'm pretty sure its screwed right now, so maybe that should give me a little more. I am also putting in a Test Pipe tomorrow - Hopefully I'll break into solid 14's.. coz the 14.987 was such a wussie run.. hehe ;) only .013 from 15. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts