DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't understand what the big fuss is with the puck clutches. Everyone says hell no. If you have used one i garentee it did not have springs in the disc. Everyone talks about how unstreetable they are, the chatter, how hard they engage, these are all true to the act anc centerforce solid discs, those things suck manor [email protected]#. I bought one of these xtd ceramic/kevlar clutches 2 years ago, and had it in my 350 horse 1g awd up untill i parted it out a month ago. I recently put it in my 2g awd and it still works like the day i bought it. IF YOU HAVE AN AVD CAR ANW WANT TO LAUNCH IT RIGHT< THIS CLUTCH IS PERFECT. You can slip this thing all you want all day long with out overheating the pressure plate or warping it. than when you fully disengage it grabs like no other. I have even side stepped this thing a couple of times in an awd, at 8k rpm's. No slip whatsoever anyone who is a non believer that this is a hardcore clutch that lives in missouri. I will let you drive my 2g as proof that it is a bad manajama.

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pa is a little far, but if you lived close i would definetly let you give it hell so that you could me more proof that these clutches are the shit. everyone badmouths them allday long. As i sain i have had act street, and puck clutch(no springs), centerforce street and puck clutches, none in any way compare to this one.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am gonna swap out my centerforce one of these days maybe I will give it a shot :D

·
Registered
433 Posts
1) They grab like mad. You have no idea how much a full-face organic slips until you run a six puck.
2)They grab like mad. You have no idea how easy it is to bust things until you run a six puck.
3) They grab like mad. Your cast O.E. flywheel will with absolute certainty, crack.

Slip them more and they engage ok, not anywhere near as smooth as a full-face but certainly streetable. With the good, comes the bad, be mindful that peak torque is going to go through the roof because they hook up so hard.
You can do cool shit like this:

Attachments

·
Banned
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Things like that happen when you side step it. If you slip it you can build full boost and it will still grab in the process. I never cracked my 1g flywheel after a year and a half on it. and probably 15k miles. I would like to try a combination of the disc and a nice 2,800 psi pressure plate from act or centerforce. That would be even more hard core. Oh yeah after all that hell that i gave it the pucks were still exactly the same thickness as the day that i bought it. The pressure plate was a little glazed, but what would you expect. Any one else out there use one of these yet. The guy that builds them is some old japenese guy. He does have some more heavy duty stuff also. He is also now selling kevlar street discs now.

·
Registered
433 Posts
5,500 rpm stutterbox on a 2.3L That's running at 50lbs/min.....

The gear and input shaft are GVR4, so they are not quite as stout as the O.E. parts.
I really wouldn't trust the flywheel and a Fidanza is cheap insurance.
Kevlar flat out sucks as a clutch lining, been there. The Cf is really low and requires a buttload of clamping pressure to work on anything that makes power.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Where do you get this clutch?

·
Registered
36 Posts
If I told you where to get an xtd clutch from I would have to kill you. They are Ebay clutches I owned the stage 3 and the thing was the truth(for the urbanly challenged that's a good thing) I make to much hp for a stage three so what did I do .......ordered the Xtd stage 4 clutch. All I can say is for 250 shipped I have never felt smarter about buying something off ebay I can pop the clutch on the stutterbox without slipping and I have a sbr gt14(65lbs/min turbo) By the way for that guy on here saying something about you don't know till you try I don't know about the other guy but my stage 3 and my stage 4 are six pucks :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Get a scatter shield if you havent already. 6 puck clutches heat up your flywheel to much, and that combined with the pressure WILL crack your flywheel, and grenade it into a million pieces sending hot shrapnel flying towords whoever is sititng in your passenger seat at the time. www.teamrip.com sells em and theyre drag approved.

·
Registered
258 Posts
right.. well if i had a 3s id consider a pucked clutch or something along those lines perhapps a twin disc. as far as im concerned a 6 puck is as streetable as you make it.. that doesn't mean tis the best choice out there. my friend runs a punked disc with a 2100 paeasure place on his front wheel drive talon. if it works for him great but i really wouldn't run a pucked clutch on 2wd because they ahve enough traction issues as it is and rougher engauge ment isn't the answer. as far as awd dsm's are concerned i see no reason to run one.. ive seen plenty of 11 and 10 second dsm's in the area, none of which having a pucked clutch. just a street disc with act rpeasure plate. what ever works man as long as its sprung. unless you just love destroying diffs trannys transfercases drive shafts and axels.. if you drive right and have a good rpeasure plate you shouldn't slipp.... pucked clutchs just engage harder. jsut because its pucked doesn;t mean it won't slipp. depending on condition, heat and preasure plate condition. ive seen those clutches go bad. my friend heat welded one to the repasure palte and fly wheel launching it. he ahd a spec stage 4 kit with a fidanza 12 pound fly wheel and the clutch welded itselt and wouldn't dis-engauge.. i dono man they seem a bit tempermentala nd unnecessary. just my opinion

1 - 12 of 12 Posts