DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that I spun a rod bearing, which I thought was lifter tick. My turbo is also out, the compressor blades were eating the housing and the car wasnt even smoking.

So the list is Bad Motor, Bad Webcams and Bad turbo all after only 8000miles

I cant afford to fix all of that, so I am getting a new motor.

so is the EVOIII motor prone to crankwalking like 2g's do or not?

·
Registered
943 Posts
lol I just posted a comment about these in another thread, they are said to be CW free, as CW free as a 1G which just increases yours odds of now CW'ing because any engine can suffer from it, I've heard of atleast 1 6bolt that walked, very unlikely but it is possible I tried to find an EVO III block... I came up short :( good luck in your search ;)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First I get crankwalk and now I spin a rod bearing. 7-bolts suck!!

why do 2g's spin rod bearing more easily?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
I believe it was something with the tolorances in the bearings coupled with a small oil filter and in my case just ignoring warning signs of things that could happen. But i've heard of a lot of 2gs spinning rod bearings, mine went at 140k miles.

After we had that bottom end machined and new bearings put in it spun the new bearing + another one in about 10 miles of driving

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if I decide to go 6-bolt jdm I have to purchase a 6-bolt FWD flywheel, right? and if I go EVOIII then all I need is to install my flywheel, correct?

Does the EVOIII use bigger rods than the 2g's?

How much power can the EVOIII bottom end handle?

·
Site Administrator
7,762 Posts
With the exception of maybe getting a 16g and bigger injectors u should just look for a low milage US 1st gen 6blt. got mine for $275 including the turbo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts