DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just like to share this with the forums before I sell these brakes. This is how I got the evo X\8 calipers on my 2g knuckle. I was looking for jdm knuckles but no ones sell them here in Canada. I had a few set of 2g knuckles and one evo X and 8 calipers lying around. Then I thought of this idea, warning this isn't cheapest way to get brembo. First I machine flat the back part of the knuckles. Now I have workable surface to make brackets. These brackets were made out T6 aluminum cut on a CNC machine. The bracket I made will fit the evo X\9\8 Calipers with one exception that evo X calipers must be used with the X rotors and vice-versa with evo 9\8. These pictures are evo X calipers and huge 14” rotors. The evo X brakes will require 18" rims minimum, these evo X brakes because only got 17”. I also have a few spare machined knuckles and brackets if anyone wants them pm me.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Would you be willing to share the dimensions you used for the brackets? Does the bracket clear the outer CV joint? How thick of material did you use?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was cut from 1\2" t6061 T6 and yes it clears the cv shaft. I'll get the dimensions off the cnc guy he design it for me.

·
Honorary Moderator
3,879 Posts
I like the write up, and would like to see you post up dimensions and information to help out other here accomplish this goal. But please keep any mention of selling parts to the classifieds.

Thanks for the contribution. Its always good to see new topics popping up after all these years.

·
Honorary Administrator
17,452 Posts
Well done. This is basically the way the TCE Wilwood kits worked and I always wondered why noone else took this DIY route to put bigger calipers on a DSM on their own.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Well done. This is basically the way the TCE Wilwood kits worked and I always wondered why noone else took this DIY route to put bigger calipers on a DSM on their own.
probably it was not obvious that you can level out the back of the knuckles and that no ones had spare knuckles to play with. people are wondering about the X cailpers, they abit bigger then the 8\9 also the pads bigger too.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Was it cheaper to have them cut out of steel versus aluminum?
The parts are so small that material doesn't make a difference it might be more expensive to cnc mill steel then aluminum. I had a bunch of these cut on the water jet. here's the deminiosn if you like to make your own there 160mm for caliper 94mm for the mounting holes and there 35mm apart from center to center.

·
Elite DSMtalker
3,256 Posts
The Wilwood calipers are only $125 brand new for four pistion calipers, they are 5.25" center to center on the mounting holes though, care to make some brackets?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Glad this got bumped. Im sourcing my Evo Brembo setup right now. :D KMV, you have PM!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Awesome man. My buddy bought JDM knuckles and spent 450 for the set and I told him the brackets are only around 100 haha he wasn't too happy after spending that money.

Ill be doing this setup this weekend on my 2gGSX and will post pics and demensions.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i figured itd be better to just continue this thread, so here is a quick sketch i made in solidworks. i dont know if it is correct as the 35mm center to center was confusing and i dont know the bolt sizes, but eh here it is.

SLDPRT for solidworks is in the zip

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts