DSMTalk Forums: Mitsubishi Eclipse, Plymouth Laser, and Eagle Talon Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I’m really getting quite tired of posting answers to the same evo related questions over and over again on the car forums, so pay attention. Here’s a few faq’s.

Q: Will an Evo 8 or Evo 9 engine bolt into any dsm?
A: Not a chance in hell. The engines on the evos are swapped 180’ from the dsm’s so it will involve much more work than it is worth. There really isn’t any advantage to having an evo engine in a dsm (other than telling your friends your sporting an evo engine, even they will think your retarded for wasting so much time and money). A properly built dsm engine will cost much less, bolt in, and most likely out perform the evo engine.

Q: Can I bolt on an Evo 8 turbo to my dsm?
A: No, the evo uses a TD05HR-16G6-9.8T (03’-04’ models), TD05HR-16G6-10.5T (05’ models) or a TD05HRA-16G6-10.5T (Ti Alloy option).

All Evo 4-8 Turbos are twin scroll designs meaning that the engines exhaust is divided into two channels. As the engine exhausts in pulses. It is supposed to result in quicker spooling. From the Evo 4 onwards, the Turbo spins in the opposite direction, i.e. Anticlockwise (hence the R in the turbo name). The Titanium Alumnide alloy used (factory option) has less inertia and thus spins up around 500 rpm sooner. These Titanium turbos can be indentified by the A in their name.

There are people who have installed evo 8 turbos on dsms, it is not impossible, just not very logical. You will need the evo 8 manifold and hardware. And you will have to relocate the alternator and make a bunch of custom piping. You will be a lot better off buying a turbo that is made for “your” car. There are numerous options out there that will cost less than the evo 8 setup, but will make much more power.

The Evo 3 16g that everyone is use to is a TD05H–16G6-7. This turbo will bolt directly onto 1gs and will fit 2gs with that have been modified to use a 1g turbo.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 exhaust manifold on my dsm?
A: No, while yes it will bolt up to your head, it will not bolt up to your turbo. This is due to it not only being twinscroll (it has 2 triangular ports while your turbo has 1 round one). The turbo flange bolt pattern is different also.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 valve cover?
A: No, it wont bolt up at all.

Q: Can I use evo 8 injectors?
A: Yes the injectors will fit perfectly. They are 560cc.

Q: Can I use an evo 8 fmic?
A: Yes this can be made to fit as well. It will require cutting and custom piping. Keep in mind that the majority of evo owners replace their intercooler as they approach roughly 350 awhp. If you plan on making more power, you will need a larger intercooler.

Q: Can I use evo 8 seats.
A: Yes the seats can be fitted to a dsm. You will need custom brackets made to do so.

Q: Will evo 8/9 rims fit my dsm.
A: Yes. The rims will bolt on without any problems, however they will stick out about a ¼ inch in the front.

·
Elite DSMtalker
866 Posts
Great post... Now we just have to hope the newbies will use the "Search" function to find it, instead of starting new threads.
Mods make it a "Sticky" maybe???

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GimmieBoost said:
Good info. What about an EVO 8 fuel pump?

EDIT: I heard rumors that the MAF and BOV can also be used.

The bov is dimensionally identical to the 2g. The only difference is that the one on the Evo actually does hold boost. I run 21psi and it holds no problem. If I had a 2g I would definatly look into an evo bov. They usually go for around $20-25 used.

Not sure about the fuel pump. We all upgrade to the walbro 255 anyways, so I really doubt its much better than a dsms pump.

Im not sure about the maf either. It uses the same aftermarket filter adapter as a 2g, but other than that I dont know.

·
Registered
9 Posts
being a newbie this thread is a HUGE help with my budget build. saw the post about the bov working on a 2g, how bout a 1g? I am still relatively new to this so please bare with me. Thanks.

*yes, I know the 1g bov is an excellent piece, but just curious being I have a stock evo 8 bov readily available to me for practically nothing

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The 1g bov is better than the evo's. Buschur actually offers the 1g bov on his upgraded intercooler piping for the evos. There wouldn't be any gains by switching to an evo's bov.

·
Registered
156 Posts
punisher said:
The 1g bov is better than the evo's. Buschur actually offers the 1g bov on his upgraded intercooler piping for the evos. There wouldn't be any gains by switching to an evo's bov.
I noticed that the other day, Ive got a spare one laying around. I wonder if i should swap the stock one on my mr to the 1g.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Tenacious-B said:
Good information. I have a feeling I'm going to be linking to this post an awful lot.
I don't pay as much attention to turbo related posts as I'm sure you guys do, but this is all relatively old information.

·
Registered
136 Posts
GimmieBoost said:

There are guys on the DSMlink forums already running evo8 maf's. They flow about 30% more that the 2G maf's, I myself am going to look into getting one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
GimmieBoost said:

Yes Evo VIII and IX Fuel Pumps will fit in a DSM.

Evo VIII = 190lph
Evo IX= 255lph <-----Just like a Walbro.

I have installed many of these on DSMs and they are a perfect upgrade.

I sell these pumps as well....PM me for info.

·
Registered
152 Posts
GSX911 said:

Evo VIII = 190lph

I sell these pumps as well....
clean out your mail box and pm me about the evo 9 fuel pump...

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just found out that the Evo brakes will definately fit on a 2g as well, a member on here did the swap using 99' galant knuckles and everything else bolted up, he said that the rears will fit as well but the dust covers need trimming. We're still not sure about the fitment on 1g's.

·
Registered
30 Posts
GSX911 said:

Evo VIII = 190lph

I sell these pumps as well....

clean out your mail box and pm me about the evo 9 fuel pump...
Yes please pm me 2 about the evo 9 fuel pump.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts